anyone have experience with a ported Dayton 15" HF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondering if anyone has personal experience using a Dayton Audio RSS390HF running in a ported rig. I live by myself and am considering making a TV stand with it (working on vibration dampening for the TV, of course).

I know the qts of 0.43 isn't completely ideal for ported, but it's pretty close. WinISD sims show a 10ft^3 box tuned to 19Hz produces 113dB to 20Hz dead flat (apart from a small excursion limit dip around 25(ish)Hz) and an f3 of 17Hz and and f10 of 13 (pulling all from memory, so go easy if I'm not dead-nuts accurate on that), which should be plenty for me. However, most all of the reviews I've seen are running the sub in sealed (as the qts would suggest if you're going 'by the book'), or some form of horn (which would be awesome, but there's that space thing).

I have the 10" version ported as my computer sub and freaking love it! With a tight budget, I'd just like some input if anyone has personal experience with this driver in a ported setup (preferably in HT, but not necessarily) to share before dropping ~$700 for this setup (driver + materials + plate amp, etc..).

The Alpine has lower qts, stronger motor, higher xmax and power handling, goes louder and lower while in a much smaller box and it is designed to be abused.
The Dayton sens is published at 2.83V, at 4 ohms this is 2 watts and not just one.
So you can substract 3 db from that figure.
In the end they will be pretty equal in terms of sens, just the Alpine will have around 2 times the power handling (clean 1kw + is no problem).
Although sens is not telling that much in sub applications, just mentioning it in case you judge by that.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Just wondering if anyone has personal experience using a Dayton Audio RSS390HF running in a ported rig. I live by myself and am considering making a TV stand with it (working on vibration dampening for the TV, of course).

I know the qts of 0.43 isn't completely ideal for ported, but it's pretty close. WinISD sims show a 10ft^3 box tuned to 19Hz produces 113dB to 20Hz dead flat (apart from a small excursion limit dip around 25(ish)Hz) and an f3 of 17Hz and and f10 of 13 (pulling all from memory, so go easy if I'm not dead-nuts accurate on that), which should be plenty for me. However, most all of the reviews I've seen are running the sub in sealed (as the qts would suggest if you're going 'by the book'), or some form of horn (which would be awesome, but there's that space thing).

I have the 10" version ported as my computer sub and freaking love it! With a tight budget, I'd just like some input if anyone has personal experience with this driver in a ported setup (preferably in HT, but not necessarily) to share before dropping ~$700 for this setup (driver + materials + plate amp, etc..).

There are 52 reviews on the bottom of the product page. I'd say most of them are quite positive in nature.

Dayton Audio RSS390HF-4 15" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm

I run a pair of RSS390HF-4 in my HT in 9 cu ft sealed enclosures and I'm very happy with them. I've been thinking about going ported with them and I'm sure they'd do fine. The .43 Qts will not be an issue. They aren't quite as low distortion as the SDX12s in my music system, but then they're half the price. Very good drivers for the money and very well suited for a ported alignment.

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.