Dayton 8 Inch Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am having a hell of a time trying to model a Dayton RSS210HO in Hornresp. Is there no hope for this driver in a rlh or even a tapped horn? No matter what I do for a conical style, the response is extremely uneven. I am looking for about 28hz to 150hz. I have has such good luck with an ABC box, but I wanted a little more out of this little inefficient driver, haha. The room its in is pretty big at bout 30 by 40ft, 10 ft ceilings. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

GM

Joined 2003
Well, a basic TH has a ~2 octave BW, so tuned to Fs it's going to be limited to 80-90 Hz/4th order XO.

Published specs says its horn mass corner is ~131 Hz, so won't quite load to 150 Hz in a BLH, though close enough to XO at 150 Hz.

GM

Attachments

• RSS210HO_TH.txt
    958 bytes · Views: 68
Last edited:
Thank you. I needed insight to make me feel less crazy, hah. But even in a RLH I cant seem to find a decent output. I don't want to do a FLH, but I guess if I have to then I shall start modeling that enclosure. I have two of these and depending on how it sounds with one, then I will debate either creating another or making another one with both drivers combined.

Eric

Hi All,

FYI:

b:)

Attachments

• Dayton_RSS210HO-8_Bw~22.5-to~150Hz_T-TQWT.JPG
    Dayton_RSS210HO-8_Bw~22.5-to~150Hz_T-TQWT.JPG
    622 KB · Views: 489
  • Dayton_RSS210HO-8_Bw~28-to~127.5Hz_Stuffed-TH.JPG
    Dayton_RSS210HO-8_Bw~28-to~127.5Hz_Stuffed-TH.JPG
    646.7 KB · Views: 484
I think I might build 3 boxes this weekend depending on time and wood supply. I was going to try a tried and true ABC box 1.5 cu ft, all ports equal length at 22 inch. Second box is going to be a TL 400 S1 220 S2, I cant remember the length off hand but i think the box will be tuned around 36hz. The third box is still up in the air, I am modeling like crazy a back loaded horn. The placement is going to be on the ground next to a wall. This is setup will only be used for music. A sealed box sound is probably ideal for what I listen to, but I need more output. Hopefully by then I should have a mic so i can post what I find for output. Thanks for all the info!!

Eric

Well I made the ABC box and the Transmission line. I guess I can't say I am too impressed with the output. I wonder if this driver just isn't adequate to the size of the room. I am loading the enclosure next to a wall. The transmission line did turn out amazing as far as the sound quality! I guess I don't know if it is worth building a horn or any type or not. I am running a Dayton SPA250DSP Amplifier. I cant say I am very impressed at all either with that. Any more insight would be helpful!

Eric

Gedlee and multiple subs

Well I made the ABC box and the Transmission line. ....... Any more insight would be helpful! Eric

Hi there E: Now that you have two subs made, recommend you read Dr Geddies article on the use of multiple subs (4). Gooogle-up "Gedlee" and click on subwoofer article. You are on the right track with several different subwoofer types. Hope you will keep posting your project and results, listening impressions. ...regards, Michael

The transmission line did turn out amazing as far as the sound quality!

Give us some details about the transmission line that you built. Was a simple constant cross-section transmission line with the driver at one end (possibly the worst type to build), or was it an offset tapered transmission line? What does it look like? Some pictures might help.

It was tapered. After to listening to the both these setups I am actually setting my low pass filter to around 100hz 24db octave. So I guess I wasn't needing to model an enclosure to that high of frequency than I thought. I didn't take a picture of the T-Line with the lid off, which I regret hah. There is 1 lb of normal polyfill throughout the entire line except the last 10 inches from the mouth. It is folded twice. You can see a line that I drew for the nails. The ABC was 1 cu ft and .5 cu ft with all of the ports 22 inchs by .75 by 10.5.

Eric

Attachments

• T-line.txt
    996 bytes · Views: 40
  • T-Line.jpg
    T-Line.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 206
  • ABC box.jpg
    ABC box.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 213
I was modeling this horn. It seems to take minimal EQ. About a .5 kg of stuffing to smooth it out. The response looks pretty flat and a lot more spl than the other two I built. Trying to fold it and build it might be pretty tricky. I guess the only thing I was trying to search on this forum and google was the group delay looks a little high. Especially compared to this current T-Line.

Eric

Attachments

• FLH.txt
    951 bytes · Views: 34
Last edited:
Update

Well I built a horn. I am checking it out as I am typing this. It seems to be pretty decent. I got a Dayton Umm6 mic so now I am learning about how to use REW. It turned out ok. I rushed a little bit towards the end. Thank you everyone for all the input!

Eric

Attachments

• Hornfold.txt
    955 bytes · Views: 32
  • Horn.jpg
    Horn.jpg
    613.9 KB · Views: 139
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.