Micro Marty

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hiya,

I got hold of an RSS390HF-4 pretty cheap (cheap for the uk anyway) and have been looking at box designs. I'm tempted by the micro marty but I notice it calls for the RSS399HO-4 instead of the HF version I have. Is there any downsides to using the HF in the micro marty?

I've got roughly 2ft cu of space to play with, would I be better off with a different design? Sealed maybe

Many thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I don't think that the HF will work with the Microcube, but it models nicely in the Minimarty. The Minimarty is much larger though. The HF wants to be in a sealed box or a very large bass reflex. Have you tried WinISD or Hornresp to model this driver? The HF looks good in a 4cf sealed enclosure with a little stuffing and some EQ.

Regards,
Matt

Thanks Matt,

I put the driver specs into WinISD and it automatically recommends a 5.8cf enclosure although there is very little difference between this enclosure performance (Transfer function magnitude) and a 4cf enclosure so I think I'll run with the 4cf enclosure.

I've read I need to take into account any bracing when determining the volume which is simple enough.

I looked on the Dayton Audio website but haven't managed to find what I should be taking into account for the driver in terms of volume. Do I need to consider the driver?

Many thanks,

Andy

In fact, I was being daft and asking questions when I should have just read more and got on with it (hopefully I've got something reasonable but that's part of the fun right!).

So using a mixture of WinISD and BoxyCad2 I get away with a 4.04cf box which will need 2lb stuffing (assuming 0.5lb stuffing / cf means a Qa of 10).

Thinking about an amp which will likely be one of the iNuke range as they are readily available, I've assumed a HPF of 19Hz and added this to the filter in WinISD. When I look at Cone Excursion and playing around with the System input power, I can get away with about 400w before the curve goes above the red line (which I'm assuming is a bad thing). Is 400w the maximum I can push into the driver? Is this RMS or peak? Can it take more for short durations at peak?

I can't imagine I'll be pushing the driver hard.

Many thanks,

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.