Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Recommendation for interior damping material in sub
Recommendation for interior damping material in sub
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2017, 04:33 PM   #1
ol mcdonald is offline ol mcdonald
diyAudio Member

Default Recommendation for interior damping material in sub

Recently finished a sub build and looking for recommendations for a lining material inside the enclosure. I have used good ol fiberglass insulation in the past but wanted to see what folks were using these days. Always wondered if the ports would be spewing fiberglass fibers when it was kicking! It's a fair size ported enclosure of 9 cu ft. Thanks in advance.
Old 31st December 2017, 07:04 PM   #2
straight8s is offline straight8s  Canada
diyAudio Member

It's a fact glass fibre does get spit out If you put your sub near sunlit window youll probably be able to see the little glimmers. You can cover the ports with a layer of cheesecloth but you'll never keep all of it contained. I prefer using natural fibre like felt. Cabinet-damping
Old 31st December 2017, 07:09 PM   #3
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Is it necessary for a sub? perhaps brace to raise cabinet resonance. Standing waves aren't going to be an issue
Old 31st December 2017, 07:15 PM   #4
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

For ported subs I use 5 mm lightweight non-woven air permeable polyester at the opposing wall "behind" the driver. 1.5-2.5 x Sd. Just enough to kill the hollow sound and not damping transients too much.
Old 31st December 2017, 10:41 PM   #5
ol mcdonald is offline ol mcdonald
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Is it necessary for a sub? perhaps brace to raise cabinet resonance. Standing waves aren't going to be an issue
Being constructed of 1" MDF, braced internally with 2x2's and 2x4's, screwed and glued with 3m industrial epoxy it is very stiff. I was curious if I should place anything inside as I had read somewhere it may not be necessary. Seems like it couldn't hurt anything as long as it isn't overstuffed.

Is the non-woven fabric something purpose made or something like landscaping fabric? 5mm seems awfully thin, are you saying double the material or??

Thanks in advance for everyones input!
Old 1st January 2018, 12:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I covered the 1.50" braced inner walls of my sub with the felt but ended up leaving perimetres open. It sounds best to me this way.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:20 AM   #7
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you know the resistivity of the dampening material you can use Hornresp to simulate a lining. The default horn example uses lining.
Some stuffing can remove resonant peaks in the response at the port tuning frequency. I have simulated good results with putting some stuffing in a large cabinet for a Tannoy Gold 15" Dual concentric - But still need to finish building the real thing!
Fibreglass is not regarded as a good material to use - Not only will it get out of the enclosure it is also agresssively abrasive to the speaker voice coil.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:37 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol mcdonald View Post
Being constructed of 1" MDF, braced internally with 2x2's and 2x4's, screwed and glued with 3m industrial epoxy it is very stiff. I was curious if I should place anything inside as I had read somewhere it may not be necessary. Seems like it couldn't hurt anything as long as it isn't overstuffed.

Is the non-woven fabric something purpose made or something like landscaping fabric? 5mm seems awfully thin, are you saying double the material or??

Thanks in advance for everyones input!
You might want to dampen a little to combat the somewhat hollow sound and reduce the reflections back on the cone which will result in distortion.

For the material it is exactly this:

Polsterwatte Vlies 100g/m2

It is cushion/furniture stuff, very cheap and effective and not double. If double the sound will be more dull, not as pronounced then.
It took a week of experiments to get the best sound of it, but well this is subjective. Everyone has her/his own methods. I used this because it was cheap and worked surprisingly good.

In ported enclosures bracing or better: excessive bracing will compromise the sound. Maybe it has something to do with air vortexes. Better is to use more material on the walls or some kind of sandwich.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:55 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalplayer View Post
In ported enclosures bracing or better: excessive bracing will compromise the sound. Maybe it has something to do with air vortexes. Better is to use more material on the walls or some kind of sandwich.
I've wondered about this before.

I tried thicker walls this time and much stronger material for inner bracing, in turn less of it is required to be effective. Compared to a puzzle maze of MDF.
Old 1st January 2018, 01:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I was referring exactly to that
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight8s View Post
puzzle maze of MDF.

Recommendation for interior damping material in subHide this!Advertise here!