Subwoofer in series

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Efficiency (power out divided by power in) and sensitivity (sound pressure level divided by voltage on the terminals) are mixed up at that link. Efficiency halves when going from a single driver to an isobaric pair.

When using two woofers, series or parallel connection has no influence on efficiency. It does have an influence on impedance and therefore on sensitivity.

Efficiency (power out divided by power in) and sensitivity (sound pressure level divided by voltage on the terminals) are mixed up at that link. Efficiency halves when going from a single driver to an isobaric pair.

When using two woofers, series or parallel connection has no influence on efficiency. It does have an influence on impedance and therefore on sensitivity.

Thanks for clarifying.

Yup. Thanks for clarifying. I only skimmed it but it seemed to have what the OP wanted.

I’ve never played with Isobaric personally...interesting from an academic standpoint!

Best,
Anand.

Last edited:
Yes, I think so too, and this does seem to be the modern consensus, perhaps when drivers weren't as good the cancellation of non linearities was a bigger advantage. Also with a clamshell it's the back of the cone that you hear.....doesn't seem right

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Hi all. A friend of mine tested it. The cancellation only affects even harmonics.
It can be up to 20dB lower which is magnificent.
But, as u noted, poor efficiency. Using both for output, cuts excursions half and reduces uneven harmonics. At the end both outputting was better.
But here’s the thing:
You can still use isobaric advantages & principle while doubling efficiency at the same time.
Simply turn one woofer outwards and one backwards installed, separate from each other, both outputting, and connect out of phase. That also causes both producing even harmonics out of phase to each other while the input signal is played in phase.

The only drawback is the 2 different positions (distance between both membranes) are not canceling out so much. But its still 10dB. Cuts distortion to third of percentage. Better than nothing. If you manage to get them even closer (like in an ripole alike slot) you still get the 20dB, AND your smaller enclosure / or deeper Fs due to slot airmass load). Im only refering to the frontslot of ripole. Coz running the back open will obviously skyrocket the excursion and distortion even worse :) so keep the back closed (or Reflex, Horn whatever).

As you can assume this is only nice for subs.
But im currently planning some tests for midrange on horndrivers.

Cheers
Josh

Last edited:
Hi all. A friend of mine tested it. The cancellation only affects even harmonics.
It can be up to 20dB lower which is magnificent.
But, as u noted, poor efficiency. Using both for output, cuts excursions half and reduces uneven harmonics. At the end both outputting was better.
But here’s the thing:
You can still use isobaric advantages & principle while doubling efficiency at the same time.
Simply turn one woofer outwards and one backwards installed, separate from each other, both outputting, and connect out of phase. That also causes both producing even harmonics out of phase to each other while the input signal is played in phase.

The only drawback is the 2 different positions (distance between both membranes) are not canceling out so much. But its still 10dB. Cuts distortion to third of percentage. Better than nothing. If you manage to get them even closer (like in an ripole alike slot) you still get the 20dB, AND your smaller enclosure / or deeper Fs due to slot airmass load). Im only refering to the frontslot of ripole. Coz running the back open will obviously skyrocket the excursion and distortion even worse :) so keep the back closed (or Reflex, Horn whatever).

As you can assume this is only nice for subs.
But im currently planning some tests for midrange on horndrivers.

Cheers
Josh

Josh, I think I understand what you are saying, but if I'm right, there are no isobaric principles involved in that set up, some distortion cancellation yes.

Is that a PPSL?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.