Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Subwoofer in series
Subwoofer in series
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2017, 10:20 PM   #11
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

So basically I get the output of one woofer by using 2 and a smaller enclosure?
Old 29th December 2017, 10:27 PM   #12
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

In a nutshell , half the size enclosure than one driver, the most space saving way is "clamshell" (more shells please )
Old 29th December 2017, 10:32 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

"Clamshell" is what I would have done, cone to cone.
But now...
it is a waste of resources (2nd woofer) I think.
I was hoping for more advantages than just a smaller enclosure.
Old 29th December 2017, 10:35 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Yes, I think so too, and this does seem to be the modern consensus, perhaps when drivers weren't as good the cancellation of non linearities was a bigger advantage. Also with a clamshell it's the back of the cone that you hear.....doesn't seem right

Last edited by scottjoplin; 29th December 2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 29th December 2017, 11:21 PM   #15
Joshcpct is offline Joshcpct  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi all. A friend of mine tested it. The cancellation only affects even harmonics.
It can be up to 20dB lower which is magnificent.
But, as u noted, poor efficiency. Using both for output, cuts excursions half and reduces uneven harmonics. At the end both outputting was better.
But here’s the thing:
You can still use isobaric advantages & principle while doubling efficiency at the same time.
Simply turn one woofer outwards and one backwards installed, separate from each other, both outputting, and connect out of phase. That also causes both producing even harmonics out of phase to each other while the input signal is played in phase.

The only drawback is the 2 different positions (distance between both membranes) are not canceling out so much. But its still 10dB. Cuts distortion to third of percentage. Better than nothing. If you manage to get them even closer (like in an ripole alike slot) you still get the 20dB, AND your smaller enclosure / or deeper Fs due to slot airmass load). Im only refering to the frontslot of ripole. Coz running the back open will obviously skyrocket the excursion and distortion even worse so keep the back closed (or Reflex, Horn whatever).

As you can assume this is only nice for subs.
But im currently planning some tests for midrange on horndrivers.

Cheers
Josh

Last edited by Joshcpct; 29th December 2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 29th December 2017, 11:28 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Interesting.
Thanks for the info.
I would put them in a 6th order bp.
Old 29th December 2017, 11:42 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

wilson benesch speakers - chimera wilson benesch 0a - Hifishock
Old 30th December 2017, 12:26 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Josh, I think I understand what you are saying, but if I'm right, there are no isobaric principles involved in that set up, some distortion cancellation yes.
Old 30th December 2017, 01:00 AM   #19
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Specs say [2] isobaric bass units: http://wilson-benesch.com/downloads/...nge_Manual.pdf

GM
Old 3rd January 2018, 06:37 AM   #20
MemX is offline MemX  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshcpct View Post
Hi all. A friend of mine tested it. The cancellation only affects even harmonics.
It can be up to 20dB lower which is magnificent.
But, as u noted, poor efficiency. Using both for output, cuts excursions half and reduces uneven harmonics. At the end both outputting was better.
But here’s the thing:
You can still use isobaric advantages & principle while doubling efficiency at the same time.
Simply turn one woofer outwards and one backwards installed, separate from each other, both outputting, and connect out of phase. That also causes both producing even harmonics out of phase to each other while the input signal is played in phase.

The only drawback is the 2 different positions (distance between both membranes) are not canceling out so much. But its still 10dB. Cuts distortion to third of percentage. Better than nothing. If you manage to get them even closer (like in an ripole alike slot) you still get the 20dB, AND your smaller enclosure / or deeper Fs due to slot airmass load). Im only refering to the frontslot of ripole. Coz running the back open will obviously skyrocket the excursion and distortion even worse so keep the back closed (or Reflex, Horn whatever).

As you can assume this is only nice for subs.
But im currently planning some tests for midrange on horndrivers.

Cheers
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Josh, I think I understand what you are saying, but if I'm right, there are no isobaric principles involved in that set up, some distortion cancellation yes.
Is that a PPSL?

Subwoofer in seriesHide this!Advertise here!