Carver Sunfire True Subwoofer MK1 250V Modification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A Carver Sunfire True Subwoofer MK1 came my way the other day, but is 110VAC rated and my local supply is typically 250VAC.
The Sunfire True Subwoofer Signature Owners Manual is the nearest that I can find (I don't know what the 'Signature' version difference is) and states 230VAC version.
Quick inspection reveals one small transformer (easy to replace) supplying 18VAC for the derived 13VDC supplies, and 200V rated main caps (easy to replace) for the HV supplies.

AFAIK the below schematic is representative.
00002.jpg

Does anybody know the 120VAC vs 230VAC versions schematic differences please ?.

Dan.

Attachments

• Sunfire Downconverter.pdf
    354.6 KB · Views: 173
MMMMax,

Can't offer you much circuit help, so I won't.

Rather than trying to modify the unit, I'd suggest a step down transformer.
The manual states it only uses "approximately 380 watts for most music on the loudest passages" so a 500 or 1000 watt unit for $39 or $74 should do.

I only heard a Starfire once last century (in a repair shop after repairs...), the LF output per size and weight was amazeballs at the time!

Cheers,
Art

Attachments

• Step Down.png
    Step Down.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
I saw that sub for sale a while back. Avoided it for this very reason.

You'd need to find a suitable transformer etc to output the required voltages for the amp board.

Unless you know exactly what you are doing, it's a great way to burn your house down to save a few bucks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.