First DIY Project Subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
moving_electron,

Problem was I was a couple of millimetres short, otherwise I would have sanded off the extra with my orbital sander.

Next time I will cut the sheets better to start with and also design for routed joins on each edge for a more positive connection.

Inside each join is braced by 35mm x 35mm timber, screwed and glued so the sub cabinet is certainly stiff and strong enough.

I used 18mm MDF, but on advice from the speaker supplier I doubled this to 36mm for the front panel.

Howard

ozynigma said:
moving_electron,

Problem was I was a couple of millimetres short, otherwise I would have sanded off the extra with my orbital sander.

I always seem to end up with a bit of a gap when I go to put on the last side (usually this is the baffel). One of the edges is lower in a spot and I have a gap in some spot. I used to try to even it up by hand sanding (hard), then went to gluing in a thin shim to even it out (easier).

Recently I just decided to use a gap filling glue on the last panel and it all worked just fine. I used the newish Elmers glue version of Gorilla glue.

Weird glue as it is smelly, sticks to your hands, expands and is activated with water.

Great stuff for this purpose though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.