Voice Coil Repair Volt Woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I have got a pair of 12" Volt Woofers out of a PMC MB2S.
They are not exactly Volt RV3143 but similar but modified by PMC.
However they got fried as a signal too hot was sent into the speakers.
So my general question is: is it possible to repair/replace voice coils from woofers?
And if so, what would that cost?

Of course, I also texted PMC already but they directly suggested a complete driver replacement which would be very epensive.

It's important that new voicecoils are the same as the originals; otherwise you'd have a different woofer spec wise.
I know that Ernst buys most of his voicecoils elsewhere because it is not economic to wind them all himself; that might be different in this case.
Just ask him; I am pretty confident that he comes up with a solution.

Hm.. the problem is, that I cannot find any info about PMC 12" driver used in the MB2S .. nor do I find any info about its voice-coil.
It's a bit problematic as those must be the exact same voice coils, otherwise I will get problems with the passive crossovers used.
This is a passive system.. so specs shoudln't change.

Most of the claims about so called "modified" drivers are BS anyway and are often nothing else than a marketing trick in disguise to justify outragious pricing way above the standard item. If the Rdc of the so called modified driver is the same as the standard and the magnet is also the same, you can bet it is similar.

Most of the claims about so called "modified" drivers are BS anyway and are often nothing else than a marketing trick in disguise to justify outragious pricing way above the standard item. If the Rdc of the so called modified driver is the same as the standard and the magnet is also the same, you can bet it is similar.

Well, I hope so.. at least PMC claims to modified magnet and voice coil and use a special coating to the cone ..
At least the coating can be seen in real life.. PMC drivers shine, Volts are matte

Agree with the modify BS; the standard item however is already outrageously priced :(:
Volt RV3143 12” RADIAL TECHNOLOGY Bass Mid Driver

at least I should be possible to get a pair of new voice coils from PMC.
they just need to be mounted then..

1) PMC will NOT sell you a pair of spare Voice Coils for very good reason.

It being that you can´t "just" unscrew the old voice coil as you might do with, say, a car spark plug and replace it yourself and screw in a new one.

Car engines and most mechanical things in general are *designed* to be disassembled, bad parts pulled , new ones mounted and the whole machine reassembled, often set up/adjusted/calibrated .... NOT so with speakers.

2) Speakers have incredibly strict space, weight and precision constraints, so the only assembly method is *gluing* parts together .... modern adhesives being insoluble/unmeltable types (epoxy or some kind of cyanoacrilate) so in general repair involves cutting the whole moving assembly away, meaning: voice coil - spider - cone - dome - tinsel wires , *junking* it , scratching old adhesive remains and cone - suspension bits away from the frame, and reassembling speaker with all new parts and using centering jigs plus being careful with voice coil vertical position so it sits in space (it´s floating and mobile) in the proper position.

So much for "just replacing a pair coils".

Given the extra work involved, repairing a speaker is more expensive than just building it for the first time, it takes double or more time .

The Netherlands shop mentioned looks qualified and should do a good job.

And since you send botgh, matching will be guaranteed.

Can´t put a price for somebody else´s job but might be about half of new unit cost.

Manufacturers occasionally charge ridiculous prices for original replacement parts.
Hi Boden,

In the case of studio reference monitors there is a reason why replacements are expensive.

Usually the drivers are hand selected based on individual measurements for each driver to keep the differences between the left and right monitor within a certain frame (+/- 1.5dB for instance). It is common practice to replace both drivers for left and right monitor if only one is damaged, of course, if the manufacturer does provide hand selected drivers. Some manufacturers have a database of all their produced monitors (based on the serial numbers) and if a client asks for a replacement they can select one, based on their database info. In such case only the damaged driver needs to be replaced.

VC repairing or a 'simple' replacement from any source, is not a good idea if you want to keep the 'reference' from the manufacturer.

Regards,
Djim

@Hugo; do not give up!

@Djim,

The is is not a simple replacement from any source; this is simply making an exact1:1 copy of the original. That is a very simple job, although manufacturers would like us to believe it is complex. Would you agree that in case the new VC is electrically identical to the original, the driver's parameters and characteristics remain the same (= ceteris paribus)? Volt drivers have certainly seen the TSR workshop before. Ernst knows his stuff, believe me.

BTW I am in no way commercially linked to TSR, but have been co-operating with Ernst the past. Always been impressed with has ingenuity an knowledge about speaker components. And yes, I have been assembling drivers myself.

BTW II. Already around 1980 Dick Pierce wrote an article in SB about VC dimensioning. He provided a spreadsheet, from which to calculate VC parameters, based on wire thickness, number of turns, lengtht and dia of the vc.

Eelco

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.