Dual Tang Band 6.5" BR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

After much mucking about I have just ordered two Tang Band 6.5" W6-1139SIF. I plan on making a second one at a later date for a pair of dual subs. It/they will be used for music and HT with my Genelec 1029a monitors for SQ.

Tang Band W6-1139SIF 6-1/2" Paper Cone Subwoofer Speaker

I've run sims on WINISD and have come up with the following cabinet spec for an F3 of 33hz:

26 litres / 0.918 ft3 - net cabinet volume
32.4 litres gross cabinet volume (inc. driver/port displ.)
10cm / 3.9" width port
69cm / 27" port length

Port velocity is low at 12.5ms @ 31hz.

Would anyone mind giving their thoughts on this proposed design before I order wood, please?

A couple of graphs attached that I think are relevant.

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    101.4 KB · Views: 488
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    63.2 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
You should be fine with a right-angled bend and a particle speed of 12.5m/s

At 22m/s, you are going to see some vent compression effects. This may not be readily audible however, unless perhaps you're playing test tones.

The proximity of the inside end of the vent to the nearby walls will lower the effective resonance frequency a bit. Be prepared to measure Fb and to trim the vent if necessary.

Those are a great value subs and very versatile, cubes or miniature tapped horns, just one plays quite loud and deep and give bigger subs a run. For HT and music consider anarchy boxes. Anarchy Tapped Horn DIY Sound Group Search mad mike anarchy sub there are more helpful plans out there.

Its littlemike, I saved the trouble LittleMike's Anarchy Tapped Horn - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

There is 3 versions inside projects Volvotreter Homepage
19hz dual 6" The Tangband 19Hz Tapped Horn – Volvotreter Homepage

Last edited:
Thanks, is it a case of up to an inch of adjustment on fine tuning? Obviously I won't know until its measured but do you have any idea what range it may effect? Thanks again.

You should be fine with a right-angled bend and a particle speed of 12.5m/s

At 22m/s, you are going to see some vent compression effects. This may not be readily audible however, unless perhaps you're playing test tones.

The proximity of the inside end of the vent to the nearby walls will lower the effective resonance frequency a bit. Be prepared to measure Fb and to trim the vent if necessary.

Yes it does! I am just getting the hang of bass reflex at the moment. I'm On my fourth build. Would this attempting too much to adapt that design?

It looks very compact and girlfriend dictates I can do what I want it just can't be ridiculous. lol

That's an interesting design. The penultimate section of the vent seems to be a bit larger than required, but I'll bet that's not only to house the amp, but perhaps to act as a small resonance chamber to damp organ-pipe effects caused by the long vent.

Yeah, they look really interesting, thanks! My girlfriend might not approve. Compact is an element.it has to be under 60cm tall to fit in.

The anarchy tapped horn looks very interesting. I will compare my drivers with the Anacrhy drivers. Do you think there will be the need for a lot of adjustment ind esign to accomodate my drivers?

Those are a great value subs and very versatile, cubes or miniature tapped horns, just one plays quite loud and deep and give bigger subs a run. For HT and music consider anarchy boxes. Anarchy Tapped Horn DIY Sound Group Search mad mike anarchy sub there are more helpful plans out there.

Its littlemike, I saved the trouble LittleMike's Anarchy Tapped Horn - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Silly me, it is for the TangBand!

Thanks, yes very detailed.

I'm starting to wonder from other peoples projects if I really need two dual subs since this driver is a little weapon. I have the TB 5.25" driver in a BR box for my kitchen and it is might big for its size but I want subs that I don't need to push to hard.

W6 sub - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

That build might offer some ideas. Lots of info and some measurements further down.

J.

This project looks very tempting to me. I think I will build my dual sub but maybe later one try these cabinets for a stereo config.

The Tangband 38Hz Tapped Horn – Volvotreter Homepage

My queries in regards to this are as follows:

He mentions "Note that the design includes the use of 4,7mh coils to even out the response. They are wound from 1,32mm dia. copper wire and have a Rdc of 0,26 ohm."

How are these implemented and what is he smoothing out?

The response looks funky after 100hz, I usually cross my subs over at 120hz for a bit more upper thump in my system. Is this no-mans land for the way I would like to use them?

Also, are the drivers trapped in the design once they are sealed up? I'd like to have flexibility to move drivers from different cabs in the future?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.