Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

dual boxes or one big box?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2017, 12:15 AM   #1
kcducttaper is offline kcducttaper  United States
diyAudio Member

Default dual boxes or one big box?

If I have 2 drivers; I was wondering what the difference would be of having a separate box for each driver as opposed to putting 2 drivers in a doubled size box and tuned accordingly.
Old 30th November 2017, 12:40 AM   #2
weltersys is offline weltersys  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcducttaper View Post
If I have 2 drivers; I was wondering what the difference would be of having a separate box for each driver as opposed to putting 2 drivers in a doubled size box and tuned accordingly.
Two boxes are stiffer than one using the same bracing, two boxes allow for more placement flexibility, and are safer for the second driver if one driver is lost due to mechanical or thermal problems.

On a more esoteric note, the reflections of either driver are also modulating both drivers in a shared box, a single driver per box has less modulation and will be a bit "cleaner".

The positive aspects of shared boxes are less material and connectors used, lowering weight, cost and build time.

Art
Old 30th November 2017, 04:43 AM   #3
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

Definitely two separate boxes strategically placed in the room...placement makes more effect box execution
Old 30th November 2017, 04:45 AM   #4
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Art states the advantages of 2 boxes pretty well.

But, if one loads the 2 woofers in a single box tightly coupled push-push (mechanically opposed, electrical in phase), then you create active vibration cancelling which yields a dramatic reduction in box load. This means the box can be much lighter with greater resistance to resonance.

I tend to get 4 next size down woofers so i can afford to build 2 push-push boxes.

It is hard to weigh the reduced box issues against (usually) better room integration without considering the room.

dave
Old 30th November 2017, 02:44 PM   #5
us1070 is offline us1070  India
diyAudio Member

If both box have the same 18mm ply then

2 Single box are better as will have less vibration than putting 2 driver in a single box. Single driver per box advantage is it has it own bracing and wont bend easily from sound waves. It will sound cleaner and smooth.

Dual driver per box can help vibrate the other drivers cone and can help to go slightly lower.
Old 30th November 2017, 10:37 PM   #6
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by us1070 View Post
2 Single box are better as will have less vibration than putting 2 driver in a single box.
If you mount the drivers on the same face yes. If you mount them tightly coupled push-push the vibration is much less since the worst of it is actively cancelled at the drivers.

dave
Old 30th November 2017, 10:58 PM   #7
DonVK is online now DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

My vote is for two boxes, same reason as @adason. It makes getting a good room response a lot easier because you can adjust via placement.
Old 30th November 2017, 11:02 PM   #8
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

3 even better Multiple Subwoofer after Geddes
Old 1st December 2017, 09:22 AM   #9
MemX is offline MemX  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You can run two drivers in a PPSL arrangement, which should give some distortion reduction
Old 1st December 2017, 06:32 PM   #10
kcducttaper is offline kcducttaper  United States
diyAudio Member

Perhaps I should have defined my question a little better. I'm referring to a single enclosure with 2 front-firing woofers next to each other. For the sake of this discussion, I would assume the box externals, and volumes, to be identical. The only difference between the two (bracing aside) would be that one box would have the 2 drivers sharing the same air volume as opposed to the other box having each driver using its own chamber. More or less dropping in a 0 displacement divider between the drivers and removing it.

Bracing aside, I know there's a lot of theory involved in the drivers affecting each other and, while I can't discredit it, can one actually hear the difference? Meaning, if I blindfolded myself and took a dual-loaded front firing box, then A/B-ed it against 'the same box' but with a dedicated chamber for each driver, could my ears distinguish the difference?

dual boxes or one big box?Hide this!Advertise here!