Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Making subwoofer box and changing circle port to rectangle
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2017, 03:07 PM   #1
davidlevy129 is offline davidlevy129  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Making subwoofer box and changing circle port to rectangle

So I'm going to make a subwoofer box from the recommended sizes in my subwoofer Manuel and I wanted to change the dimensions to something more shallow but longer but of course keeping it the same recommended volume requirement. Would this mess with the performance if I change the dimensions but keep the same volume? And also I want to know can I convert the circular port dimensions into a rectangular dimension.

IMG_0488.JPG
Old 10th November 2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Sonce is offline Sonce  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

If the volume is the same it is OK, but do not make very long and slim box - it will turn into a bad TL box, sort of.
Same area: 76mm (3") circle = 67.35 mm square.
Old 10th November 2017, 05:59 PM   #3
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yes, but using a rectangular port like a rond one will give more turbulance. So u need to make them bigger and then they will have to be longer. Integrating it in a corner is IMHO often a better idea if you want somehing else then round. Something like: The Lab12 PA Subwoofer Smack Down/Death Match
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th November 2017, 06:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonce View Post
If the volume is the same it is OK, but do not make very long and slim box - it will turn into a bad TL box, sort of.
Same area: 76mm (3") circle = 67.35 mm square.
It was a rectangular port
Old 16th November 2017, 12:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Disregard my last comment but I also see there's different volumes of boxes you can do based on the sound tight versus recommended versus deep what is this mean? And what does it affect?
Old 16th November 2017, 04:51 AM   #6
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, in Pioneer 'speak', 'Tight' means high tuned, 'Deep' means low tuned and 'Optimum' is in the middle.

Around here, 'tight' means highly damped, so 'deep' would be the closest, though being mobile audio designs, all of them are severely under-damped, i.e. 'loose', ringing', 'boomy', or 'tight' according to Pioneer.

If perchance this is for HIFI/HT use, then none of them really apply.

GM
Old 17th November 2017, 05:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sorry I don't understand your lingo can you elaborate. I am using this for home theater so what size would you recommend. And as far as making another box with different dimensions but the same volume. What can I use as far as a program or a calculator to help me keep the same volume but change the dimensions?Google SketchUp?
Old 17th November 2017, 06:02 PM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm, the only way I can break it down further is to provide measurement plots and somewhat educate you on Thiele-Small [T/S] filter theory, which is available on various DIY forums, folk's websites, so recommend researching it along with over & under-damped speaker responses if you're curious enough.

Which driver, there's [2] listed? The short answer for HT apps is a large, tapered transmission line [TQWT] or a tapped variant [TTL, TH].

I've seen a number of on-line box design calculators that's a lot simpler to use than SketchUp unless one is already using it, including one like you want, so probably more, but haven't saved any links.

GM
Old 19th November 2017, 11:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Hmm, the only way I can break it down further is to provide measurement plots and somewhat educate you on Thiele-Small [T/S] filter theory, which is available on various DIY forums, folk's websites, so recommend researching it along with over & under-damped speaker responses if you're curious enough.

Which driver, there's [2] listed? The short answer for HT apps is a large, tapered transmission line [TQWT] or a tapped variant [TTL, TH].

I've seen a number of on-line box design calculators that's a lot simpler to use than SketchUp unless one is already using it, including one like you want, so probably more, but haven't saved any links.

GM

It's the 304r and what would be the big difference using those box types versus regular ported box

Making subwoofer box and changing circle port to rectangleHide this!Advertise here!