Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Basic starter build. Newbie no clue
Basic starter build. Newbie no clue
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2017, 02:08 PM   #1
thebizz is offline thebizz
diyAudio Member

Default Basic starter build. Newbie no clue

Hi, I am going to try a simple build but I am pretty clueless! Ive decided to try a small subwoofer which I will either use as a nearfield subwoofer in a home cinema setup with a 15 or 18 subwoofer to come in the future to handle more of the low end or maybe to supplement my pc based music system in the office if the cinema application doesnt work out. The main subwoofer is in a far corner and gets a lot of gain from 35 down but creates a null between 50 and 60 depending whereabouts on the couch you sit. For light tv and music it will probably be the only sub turned on and the bigger sub engaged on movienights.
I bit the bullet and bought 2 RSS210HO-4 (8 inch) subwoofers (RSS210HO-4 8" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm Specification Sheet) but now am not entirely sure what to do with them! After lots of unconvincing playing with winisd I am probable not that much the wiser but I am keen to get going in the garage actually doing some building.
The aim is for a subwoofer that can be crossed at 100 with some MK speakers and produce (for lack of a better word) clean bass down to 30. The room is less than 1500 square feet. It is going to be driven by a stageline amp (sta-225) which should give 750w bridged into 8ohm or 2x350w into 4 oh rms.
A narrow long shape would fit well into the space I am thinking of which is right next to the which is the MLP and in will pretty much be an inch away from brick walls on two sides.
So I was thinking dual opposed (in phase) and wired for 8ohm load.
Box size 20x15x10 using 18mm mdf and double baffled at each end. Maybe two pieces of bracing in using 18mm mdf with holes cut in. Size wise I could go bigger but dont want the width to increas from 10 inches. It can go higher ore longer.
I have a minidsp to eq.
Does this sound anything like sensible or am I going about it in the wrong way.
Not a very interesting build I know but would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 04:07 PM   #2
DiscoJones is offline DiscoJones  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds like a good plan. Sealed or ported? You can get good results from either with that driver and the miniDSP for shaping, but I think you would appreciate the added output from a ported alignment.

Dan
Old 8th November 2017, 03:08 PM   #3
thebizz is offline thebizz
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dan, I did consider ported but think it may be more of a complication for me at this stage so I was going to go sealed so less can go wrong. Maybe move on to a ported slot in the future.
Basic question, I have the drivers now. What is the best way to test them for faults.
Should I run them in free air for a while and if so is that at low power with a test tone or music? Thanks

Basic starter build. Newbie no clueHide this!Advertise here!