Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

subwoofer position
subwoofer position
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2017, 12:00 PM   #11
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Wow, that's a >40dB hole in the response.

This is going to be difficult to fix.
How low do your main speakers go?

Maybe try reversing the wires on the subwoofer so it's reversed polarity.

Chris
Old 7th November 2017, 12:18 PM   #12
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

subwoofer position
Data! Great. You're now on the high road to better sound. Fair to say that for many recordings, you'd hardly notice the loss, even if folks on this forum would be aghast at the below-50 hole.

My guess is, you explained things quite well in your original post. That should be clear to anyone who re-reads it. Room modes likely. Sitting close to the wall is probably putting you into a big null reflecting that hole in your response.

Now that you have the tools to measure it, you can move speakers, sitting position, and possibly even furnishings to reduce the problem.

A while back, I posted REW freq response for my music room with a sliding-door clothes closet on the wall opposite my speakers and centred. Closet holds my bulky winter motorcycle gear. Big difference with the door open or closed, in favour of being open and absorbent. In my case, my chair is poorly placed near the centre of the room, not a good place.

B.

Last edited by bentoronto; 7th November 2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 7th November 2017, 03:05 PM   #13
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ben, there's a 40dB hole from 45-70Hz. There's a lot of content there that will simply be missing.
You might not notice with singer + guitar music, but anything with even a little bit of bass will be severely lacking.

Chris
Old 7th November 2017, 03:31 PM   #14
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umut1001 View Post
Hi.Here is the measurement.I am not sure i did it right.Sorry I have very low information about measurement.(no calibration )
Is it very bad?
If you have REW running, try using the RoomSim feature to enter your room size and listening position. The result will be close, but not exact. Then you can move a virtual "you" and "sub" around to see what works to minimize the room null at your listening position.
Old 7th November 2017, 06:05 PM   #15
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Like you did for me Don. very helpful and accurate too I think OP is going to have to do some moving around, could severely cut either side of the null, but it would be a poor compromise
Old 7th November 2017, 06:09 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yes, and it only takes a few minutes and it will get you very close.

I'm about to do the same exercise, only with 2 subs now. I'm nearly finished my SonoSewerSub.
Old 7th November 2017, 06:45 PM   #17
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

subwoofer position
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris661 View Post
Ben, there's a 40dB hole from 45-70Hz. There's a lot of content there that will simply be missing.
Very nice of you to want to educate me more on the frequency compass. I wish I could educate you more on (1) hearing perception and (2) the content of recordings. A good place for you to start is the recent thread about how low do you need to go.

No, I wasn't advocating a 70 Hz cut-off (or for umut101, living with a hole that departed from the 5dB plus or minus band of 40-60).

Apropos the suggestion of re-polarizing the woofer. Yes, no kidding, horrible as it sounds to textbook adherents, sometimes really does the trick. I doubt if applicable here, but sometimes hard to guess which polarity will work best in a given room and speaker set-up. My DSP provides for instantaneous switching polarity of any driver; so I've tried it with my rather dispersed sub(s).

Too bad EQ to boost holes doesn't work for many people. But a chance that with DSP you could finagle some improvement somehow. In any case, hard to have a great system without a DSP (OK, just my opinion).

B.

Last edited by bentoronto; 7th November 2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 7th November 2017, 08:05 PM   #18
umut1001 is offline umut1001  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Hi.Thank you for your replies.I closed the door to improve bass response(like in the car)
I have just checked Room simulation tool.I also simulated with 2 subwoofers but it seems it does not help much.
Sorry i can not change the position of my listening place and subwoofer.
Here with one sub response.I adjusted it same as my closed Subwoofer -3db point just same as my sub.
Graph also seems a little similar to my room response.
It seems ultra flat response drivers not necessary right?Maybe bad response drivers are better and corrected by room Room makes everything bad
Attached Images
File Type: png roomsim.png (105.6 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by umut1001; 7th November 2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 7th November 2017, 08:19 PM   #19
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umut1001 View Post
Sorry i can not change the position of my listening place and subwoofer.
Ok. I believe you Have a look at this Corner Dipole Woofer (CDW): info? anyone tried one?
Old 7th November 2017, 08:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Swap the left speaker and sub, then move right speaker out to match.

When you measured, was the mic omnidirectional and pointing up (to ceiling) or forward to sub.?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg umut_room1.jpg (104.2 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by DonVK; 7th November 2017 at 08:50 PM. Reason: mic position

subwoofer positionHide this!Advertise here!