New subwoofer project "SuperNova"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using this driver...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

to build my next subwoofer. Basically, It is a dual voice-coil driver that has a whopping 2" peak-to-peak excursion and a magnet that weighs an impressive 150oz. The 5 magnet vent design allows the subwoofer to efficiently cool itself, even at high levels. It also lowers the pressure inside the magnet structure which virtually eliminates air pressure noises that are problematic in many other high powered speakers. The cone is crome-ion deposited with a large rubber surround. Other features include silver flexlead wiring and gold plated binding posts.

I used a couple of programs so I could obtain the desired results and have tuned it down to 24Hz. The net internal volume of this unit is 4 cubic feet and the -3dB point occurs at 21Hz.

The driver is a Maxcaliber CA12150. I was not totally satisfied when I tuned lower (spec-wise) however, since I have not yet designed the enclosure, I will attempt to see just how I can accomodate the extra-long port, while keeping the vent mach down to acceptable limits.

Here are the specs...

qts=0.36
vas=56L
fs=26Hz
Re=4ohms
xmax=0.028m
z=8ohms
qms=8.77
qes=0.37
spl=93.9dB
pe=900w
bl=18.00
dia=0.305m
sd=0.048sqm

I was using a 6" port and if I tune it down to 18Hz then I will need a 48" port and I am a little concerned with the 8x ratio of diameter to length of port.

I tell you what, I am open to advice regarding the tuning. If I do tune lower then I may also have to rethink a 6" port and go with multiple (2 or even 3) smaller ports (got to keep the length down to reasonable levels so I can design the enclosure.

I forgot to add that I have 18" sonotube currently. I could port from the top and have the driver mounted at the bottom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.