Check my thinking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm planning on building two more subs for my new room. I have two old Altec cabs I will brace. They are 4.5 cu ft. I'm thinking of using these components. Your thoughts?

Behringer NU3000DSP iNUKE 3000 Watt Power Amplifier with DSP

Dayton Audio UM12-22 12" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms Per Coil

Attachments

• 248-6706_HR_0.jpg
    248-6706_HR_0.jpg
    667 bytes · Views: 192
  • 295-512_HR_0.jpg
    295-512_HR_0.jpg
    965 bytes · Views: 191
I would consider this one instead:

Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 12" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Box size is a perfect match, if you're venting the box.

The UM12 has a Qts of 0.6. That's a bit high for a vented alignment, and recommended sealed alignment for it calls for a box size of 2.8 cu.ft.

Specs-wise the Behringer amp looks fine. I seem to have had bad luck with the NU3000DSP though. Both that I purchased ended up failing within a year or two. Not something you want to happen when shipping the amp for repair costs half as much as getting a new one.

How high of the floor should subs be up off the ground?

The floor will load the sub and have similar effects as corner loading. Distance from floor/walls is mostly dependent on room, whatever sounds best in your set up. Too close may create excessive reverb then bass tends to start sounding sloppy.

That Eminence is a great looking sub.

Why not build complete cabs? You may rattle those antique altec cabs apart. Ive done similar only to find a rattle that I could not resolve a box of screws later in the long run it was more trouble then it was worth.

Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
How high of the floor should subs be up off the ground?

For what?

For max loading, setting on it; otherwise, rooms are 3D, so at an odd harmonic of its vertical modes, same as when placing them along a wall, etc., as a starting point; or are you referring to bottom firing, assuming the driver meets the sag limitation?

GM

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.