Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Plywood thickness for 15 inch subwoofer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2017, 11:35 AM   #1
Jonse is offline Jonse  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Plywood thickness for 15 inch subwoofer

Hi,

I am going to build a 3.83 cu. ft. sealed enclosure for a 15 inch subwoofer. Dayton Audio DCS385-4 15" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm

Where I live plywood and MDF is about the same price, so I'm going for plywood. Most threads I've read people use 3/4 inch MDF for 10-12 inch drivers, but larger drivers needs thicker enclosures right? I know plywood is stiffer, so 3/4 inch may be enough? Or should I use the thickest plywood I am able to get, which is 7/8 inch? I'm going to use dovels for internal bracing.

I'm also wondering if i should double up on the baffle? If I buy one large sheet of plywood, I will have enough to do it. But I read somewhere here on the forum that if the baffle is too thick, the driver can't breathe properly and it will color the sound.

Thanks!
Old 20th September 2017, 01:17 PM   #2
Brian Steele is online now Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

I would definitely go with the ply. MDF is a bit easier to work with in some ways, but ply should be lighter. 3/4" is fine, once you brace it properly.

Doubling up on the front baffle will allow you to flush-mount the driver, for a nicer look. I'd consider doing this if I was building this subwoofer for home use.
Old 20th September 2017, 06:58 PM   #3
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

We built a push-push dual 10” subwoofer out of well braced 15mm plywood, and i had to go to heroic efforts to get any panels to vibrate. A single 15” won’t have the advantage of active vibration cancelation so you will be loading the box to a much greater extent — there are huge advantages to push-push subwoofers. 15mm is certainly a more suitable material than ¾” MDF, either would need to be well braced. Yes, doubling the baffle is a good idea.

dave
Old 21st September 2017, 12:47 AM   #4
nicasiox2 is offline nicasiox2  United States
diyAudio Member

Either option will be fine, just keep in mind that that volume will require the presence of some bracing crosses, 2x2 timbers are amazing for that task.
Old 21st September 2017, 05:15 PM   #5
Crashpc is offline Crashpc  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Depends on construction, bracing, usage, speaker type and weight, power input and more. I successfully use lighter 21" in 15mm ply box, and it works very well.
Old 21st September 2017, 05:34 PM   #6
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I always use 18mm plywood.
Plywood is strong and doesn't react too badly to water.
Old 21st September 2017, 05:43 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

As the robot who built the boxes Dave mentioned, as well as some custom gonzo boxes for a local hifi / car installer and others, I can attest that the combination of push/push and thorough bracing is definitely worth the effort.

And definitely BB ply rather than MDF; a single layer of 18 with bracing could be enough - although I think you'll want thicker than just dowels. For a 15" woofer, I wouldn't worry about it "not breathing" if baffle doubled up, but honestly, I think that time / material is better spent on bracing.
Old 21st September 2017, 06:58 PM   #8
Circlomanen is offline Circlomanen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

For a 40 dB attenuation of box-noise you need 1000 times Mms in static mass.
This is very simplified and does not account for flexing walls etc, but it is a good rule of thumb.

Cheers,
Johannes
Old 21st September 2017, 07:01 PM   #9
j.michael droke is offline j.michael droke  United States
diyAudio Member

Default plywood

Hi there: Plywood! MDF is snarky stuff to deal with. No advantage to MDF and if it gets any water on it, it swells-up (unless you want to create 1" MDF from 3/4" MDF). Baltic birch plywood, while good material, sells for over a hundred dollars for a 5x5 foot sheet here in my area. ...regards, Michael
Old 21st September 2017, 07:31 PM   #10
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

You don't need a vast amount of bracing to push the cabinet resonant frequency above that needed for a subwoofer.

Plywood thickness for 15 inch subwooferHide this!Advertise here!