Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Plywood thickness for 15 inch subwoofer
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2017, 12:47 AM   #21
straight8s is offline straight8s  Canada
diyAudio Member

I paid 70 dollars CAD for Baltic Birch, thats not including tax. I wonder how come the bigger stores don't carry it.
Old 23rd September 2017, 10:07 PM   #22
Jonse is offline Jonse  Norway
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all your replies. I think I'll be using 18 mm plywood and 2x2'' timber for internal bracing.

There's a couple more things I'm wondering about. I would like to build the subwoofer like a perfect cube, because I like things to be symmetrical. Or should I avoid this? I've read about golden and acoustic ratio, but some people say it doesn't matter for a small subwoofer. Also, does baffle size matter? I'm building a down-firing subwoofer, so I'd like the baffle to be small, so the subwoofer doesn't take up too much space.
Old 24th September 2017, 12:00 AM   #23
HumbleDeer is offline HumbleDeer  Belgium
diyAudio Member

15mm ply is about as strong if not stronger than one inch mdf, but it's denser. It also means you'll have less damping. Horns are usually built from ply for this exact reason. Ply is also easier to work with if you like screwing and aren't a professional woodworker like some of us are.
Old 24th September 2017, 05:46 AM   #24
Djim is offline Djim  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi HumbleDeer,

The damping factor of materials only matters if the first mode of any of the enclosure panels sits within the bandpass, which is usually not the case for MDF or plywood as building material for a subwoofer. Nonetheless, you last remark is perhaps too often overlooked in the diy world...

Regards,
Djim
Old 11th January 2018, 05:36 PM   #25
Think is offline Think  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

All depends on the shape (span) and bracing. A cilinder like a bucket or pcv pipe will not bow out even if they are very thin.
Take a look at how boats are build; you can use 3mm/ 1/8" ply for a canoe if you brace it well. 1/2 or 3/8 ply is often used for 30-40 foot catamaran hulls. (with catamarans weight matters a lot, not so much for mono hulls)

Bracing takes more time so commercial speaker builders opt for thicker wood instead. Other ply like okoume can also be a lot lighter as it is only 5/7 the weight of birch ply. That makes a 25lbs box instead of 35lbs with the same thickness ply.

Glueing a box is much stronger then screwing it and makes it airtight.
Old 11th January 2018, 07:58 PM   #26
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleDeer View Post
15mm ply is about as strong if not stronger than one inch mdf, but it's denser.
I usually use the 15mm vrs equivalence. In quality plywoods vrs MDF of the same thickness, the plywood is lighter.

dave
Old 11th January 2018, 08:02 PM   #27
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonse View Post
I would like to build the subwoofer like a perfect cube, because I like things to be symmetrical. Or should I avoid this? I've read about golden and acoustic ratio, but some people say it doesn't matter for a small subwoofer.
As long as the woofer does not go higher than a quarter wavelength of any internal dimension box dimension ratios do not matter. This is usually the case with a small subwoofer. A subwoofer radiates in an omnidirectional matter so baffle size and the side you put the woofer on is also moot unless it is loaded by a nearby surface.

dave
Old 12th January 2018, 09:30 PM   #28
Etocynned is offline Etocynned
diyAudio Member

CSS is back? I bought and gave away an SDX 10 a few years back and would like to look at another or a 12 or 2.
link?
Old 12th January 2018, 09:39 PM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

They are working at getting up to steam: Creative Sound Solutions | High End Speakers and Speaker Kits

dave
Old 13th January 2018, 09:39 AM   #30
bentoronto is offline bentoronto  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think View Post
All depends on the shape (span) and bracing...Glueing a box is much stronger then screwing it and makes it airtight.
Until post #25, it's one of those "my box is stiffer than your box" threads, taken as Article of Faith without good rationale.

Nobody seems to notice or to care that the OP box is one of the ridiculously tiny boxes for a large driver, about 9-inches to the nearest edge worst-case. Not that anybody can actually depict what the problem would be if the box wasn't infinitely stiff.

I thought the rap-your-knuckles test was just an old (but actually meaningless) habit us old guys have?

B.

Last edited by bentoronto; 13th January 2018 at 09:54 AM.

Plywood thickness for 15 inch subwooferHide this!Advertise here!