PA Subwoofer Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Brian steele: Not anything against you or TD, but That´s exactly the point I´m calling for BS strategy. If you read the whole paper (seen here http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/danley/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/The-Tapped-Horn.pdf), you´d see this:

Suggested outer box size: 40 in. x 22.5 in x 28 in.
Speaker: 15" with 100g of Mms and expected 4-5mm Of Xmax.

Yes, that's the parameters of the example. The focus was on a particular box size and whether or not a TH would be a better alignment than a bass-reflex alignment for that size. The Xmax quote of 5mm isn't actually relevant - whatever the Xmax of the driver is, the TH alignment shows less excursion than the vented equivalent of the driver in that box with the same LF cutoff, so its mechanical power handling will be better, and it will be capable of more output.

If I compare This Kappa15 LFA with 21DS115 situated in a smaller box, It reaches its excursion limits 12-14db above the Kappa in the intended passband. How about that...

Yes, but now you have changed the parameters by focusing on a different box size and driver, haven't you? That would be a bit like me arguing that the 2.7L version of my Hyundai Tucson will be faster than the 2.0L version, and you arguing that my argument is bogus because a Camaro with a 3.5L engine will be faster :).

Here is a comparison sim of some speakers I have actually built
The reflex was 118 litre
The TH is 209 litres
I used the same driver and the power and excursion are both the same.
The price you pay for that gain in dB is the size
But its a price worth paying.
The TH is louder at every frequency once you take into account that the hi-pass filter can be set 5hz lower.
The difference in volume in a gig is very significant.
The driver is only a 15 with a 7.5mm xmax. which is why it is tuned so high.
So in real terms its lacking in low frequencies, but a pair of these grouped centre stage in a small hall are more than adequate when driven at 1.1KW for the pair.;)

Attachments

• TH reflex comparison.jpg
    TH reflex comparison.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 215
The focus was on a particular box size and whether or not a TH would be a better alignment than a bass-reflex alignment for that size.

Oh really? Let´s look at what´s written in the whitepaper again:

From this the advantages of the Tapped Horn should be obvious...
While few sentences before, TD is boasting about cone excursion and voltage input capabilities of a totally different driver of course.
So that one was mentioned very boldly, and it is relevant for a reader.

WHITEPAPER - That´s an official document usually expressing technicalities in a fair manner.
I would not expect for such highly praised pro (praised even by me) to do this. The more I praise this guy, the more striking and pathetic this document feels to me.
I wouldn´t even mention it, if it was from a random guy.

Yes, but now you have changed the parameters by focusing on a different box size and driver, haven't you?

Yes. You obviously didn´t get the point. I could clearly keep the box size the same. I just showed it can do even more, even in the smaller box. Like, way overpowering the competing setup.
No need to make it different size though. Again, Tom also took basically very different driver too. Soooo, who is here to decide we cannot pick different diameter also – better for the box alignment, the same way as TD picked better driver for his TH alignment.
I look at the box first, and then pick a driver, which can ustilize the box best. That´s not looking at the particular driver. Especially because if the box size would be different, I would take different driver. That way I´m following the box approach, not the driver. It really is the way how you describe it with the cars.
Therefore if we agree on that one piece of hardware is stronger than another piece of hardware, because it´s stronger (and more expensive and more suited for the task), then it´s piece of useless publication. Waste of time for TD and for us too.
But It´s about clear that the reason of the publication is very different, and that´s where I came in.
If I can bring a sim, where TH setup will not outdo the bassreflex setup in the same size, then the argumentation is valid and relevant.

Xoc: That one is fair. Once we don´t look at the box size, the TH will about always win. Noticed this in my sims and real builds too. That´s where I like THs. It gets most of the driver of almost any kind. Just came in to stop that mock show telling us that TH is better in every possible setup.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.