Cheap subs or woofers for a tile ceiling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All: I'm interested in some subs/woofers for a room at work which really can't accomodate an enclosure. BUT there is a grid tile ceiling. I'm thinking to make wooden 2'x4' "tiles" with a cutout for said woofers. Presto! Infinite baffle! Ya, kinda crude, but that's OK, this is mostly background music but it would be nice to be able to bump it occasionally and to get low bass at modest SPL.

What are some sources for inexpensive big woofers? (probably 10" and larger). Ideally resonance down in the 30s and Q of like 0.7, but cheap probably means Q might be more like 1. I did see some stuff at Parts Express from like $14; I'm just not aware of what other sources there might be.

Oh, the highs, mids, and even midbass perhaps will be handled by some little Mission speakers that there IS room for.

The GRS subwoofer line at Parts Express is not bad for the money. Decent construction, bumped back plate, vented pole piece, OK xmax. I think the 10" is $20 and has the specs you need. The GRS woofer line is even cheaper, but you miss out on a lot of advantages to save a couple bucks over the subwoofer line.

Dan

Why do you want woofers from the ceiling, in wall is better. Are you bothered about new or used
Probably making holes in the (office) walls isn't an option :)
It is not an option at all...wellllllll...don't ask permission, ask forgiveness? Oh, the evil ideas generating in my head now...but the walls are covered with a kind of stucco...and I'm not sure what is inside. Stuff to ponder for sure.

I have a Yamaha AVR that has multichannel inputs, and figured I could run these little Mission speakers from one set of channels and woofers off the other. And wire a capacitor inline as a crude bass filter out of the Missions at whatever hundreds of Hertz the power response of the woofers drops off.

If I did speakers in the wall, it would be a challenge how to get wires there, at least unobtrusively. But I could get some car speakers or something. Or fullrange 10s-well, too deep I'm sure. 8" coax maybe?

Then again, I probably really shouldn't be cutting those walls!

Wireless speakers, a lot of home cinema subs are.
Reconsider, get a small box
Hmmm...it's true, I could stuff a sub in various places in the room. More complicated than the woofer idea though...not possible to place nearby. Food for thought!
Not so wireless in real life: at least they need some kind of power supply.
You didn't see Elon Musk's latest? :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.