help design sub TAD 2201

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI everybody
I am looking for some help designing the right sub's for those little TAD speakers.
i like their sound... but the are a little bit "light" on low end.
i am looking for a solution WITHOUT DSP.
i will need it to be very hiquality .looking for the best.
looking to construct a pair obviously.

I have plenty of possibilties to build it myself, have the tools... i need some help to just start to look in right direction ...
would a 10inch be sufficient ?
i need them to be small as well ....

thanks for your help !!

P

PS please let me know if any info is missing :)

Sealed type / 2-way
LF driver : 20 cm, 8- inch cone
HF driver : 2.5 cm, 1-inch metal dome
Frequency response : 50 Hz – 40 kHz (-10 dB)
Crossover frequency : 2.3 kHz
Maximum input (JEITA) : 160 W
Output SPL : 86 dB (W/m)
Impedance : 4Ω
Weight : 7.8kg, 17.2 lbs (per speaker)
Dimensions : 260 mm, 10-1/4 in (W) x 348 mm, 13-11/16 in (H) x 253 mm, 9-15/16 in (D)
Stand attachment nut : 3/8-inch nut (bottom surface) Legs (round x 4, bar x 2)

Attachments

• TAD001.jpg
    TAD001.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 2201GRA.png
    2201GRA.png
    145.5 KB · Views: 137
Off-axis response looks nice.

I'm a little surprised at no responses here, maybe because of missing information:
- What is the rest of your system? (sources, preamp/amp/receiver*, etc)
- What is the room like
- What are you listening to and how loud?
- What's your budget for this?
- How big of a sub can you fit?
- Amp on the sub? OR amp in a rack is OK?

Honestly, it might be simpler to purchase a sub, they are finicky beasts. But of course it is more cool to make your own.

*this part is critical because somewhere you need a highpass, which many amps are not set up well to integrate.

D

Off-axis response looks nice.

I'm a little surprised at no responses here, maybe because of missing information:
- What is the rest of your system? (sources, preamp/amp/receiver*, etc)
- What is the room like
- What are you listening to and how loud?
- What's your budget for this?
- How big of a sub can you fit?
- Amp on the sub? OR amp in a rack is OK?

Honestly, it might be simpler to purchase a sub, they are finicky beasts. But of course it is more cool to make your own.

*this part is critical because somewhere you need a highpass, which many amps are not set up well to integrate.

HI Head Unit,
thanks for your reply.... lets try to answer few question...
the goal is simply to xtend the low frenquency / low end of the speakers... and try to keep the same "speed" and having an "accurate" low end
It will be used in a recording studio "situation" with a recording console
... room being 20/30 m2....
I ve being looking at the B&W asw 608 and 610 ... but don't know yet the one to choose. (i should hear them first)
I am listening loud. and very very quiet as well (but no need of subs here)
the 608 could match quite well the TAD i think...

advice welcome :)

Ah. Frankly, I think you should start another thread titled "compact subs for studio" because this thread title looks like you want to build something, when actually you want to buy.

As a loudspeaker design engineer, I have enormous respect for B&W (and KEF and Polk and many others). BUT those companies seldom make the best subwoofers. Why? Well, subwoofers are really different animals, requiring a different kind of almost alchemical design approach. So you'll hear companies like Hsu, SVS, maybe Paradigm, JL and others extolled. Compact subs are even trickier-to get really good feedback it would be best to (in a new thread) post some pictures and dimensions of what you want to fit. Describe you console and amplification, because we will wonder how/where you will highpass to remove the lowest bass out of your mains, to reduce distortion and increase headroom.

By the way, if your mains have 8" woofers and you are in a studio situation I think you need at least 10" or really more like 12" cones. Otherwise you will not really improve your situation. (It is also possible to have several subs distributed around the room if that helps you fit better).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.