Cube Cubed - Passive Radiator Sub Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have always loved passive radiators, so I thought I would finally do a build log along with all the parts needed. Thanks to Parts Express, I am able to bring one of these Passive Radiator Builds to life. My goal was to make a small subwoofer that would still have high spl, for a smaller room all while keeping the cost of the major parts under $200. As I looked around, I haven't found many great subs in that price range, so I thought DIY work might give the best bang for the buck. Here's a list of all the parts chosen for this project along with links:

Passive Radiator Sub Build - Excursion Test - Free Plans - YouTube

Dayton Audio DCS205-4 8" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm
2 - Dayton Audio SD215-PR 8" Passive Radiator
Dayton Audio SA100 100W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier
Harrison Labs FMOD Inline Crossover Pair 30 Hz High Pass RCA

I didn't have a separate DSP, so I had to go with an FMOD for the High pass to protect the woofer from over excursion. I did test it, and it was an issue. ALthough, if you have a DSP you would not need the FMOD. The total cost with the FMod is $190.

The Enclosure is a very small footprint sitting at a 14" cube with 3/4" MDF or a 13.5" cube using 1/2" MDF. So it is a great footprint for a smal room.

Later I'll post the theoretical response before room gain via WinISD. I will say, I have been playing this and it blew me away. I was very pleased with the SPL this thing can put put out, especially for it's size.

Theoretical Frequency Response with no added mass in a 1 cubic foot cabinet.
attachment.php

Theoretical SPL using 100 watt amplifier (106DB)
attachment.php

Cone Excursion without a High Pass
attachment.php

Cone Excursion with 30hz High Pass
attachment.php

When I get it all assembled, I'll post the actual graphs via REW and my UMIK1.

Nice build! how does it sound with one 8" woofer and radiator?

It sounds really good with the 1 Dayton 8" Classic and 2 passive radiators. I am really impressed with the sound quality of this little guy. It has a really good response. In fact, I use this in my living room connected to my custom DIY soundbar. I should have plans for that up sometime next week. I have been pretty busy lately. But every time I play it, I am so impressed with not only the amount of bass you get out of it, but the clean bass you get. This has been one of my favorite builds/designs.

attachment.php

I plan to repaint it white and add some walnut to it to match the soundbar later. I honestly didn't expect this play this well, which is why I never planned for it to be in the living room (ie paint it white in the first place). I am glad it beat my expectations.

attachment.php

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.