Mini Subwoofer enclosure help needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First off I'm new here and was pointed to this part of the forum for getting help and I'm sorry if this is not the correct place for this post.

I'm planning to build a super compact audio system into my desk but being as I've never worked with such small subwoofer drivers I could use some help on enclosure design. I would like to make the sub boxes as flat against the bottom of the desktop as I can.
I'm thinking the Tang Band W3-186S Mini Subwoofers will be a good choice and I've seen many say they are great in a 4" (inside) square sealed box but not much info on ported enclosure volume or builds (i know that ported will need a bit more space but this would be the biggest part of the system and attached to the under side of the desktop) also not sure what the thinnest wood and type of would I should use would be.
I would like to build 2 seperate enclosures for this and try to get as low tuned as possible (they are rated to 55hz iirc).

Thanks.

If theres another reasonable price small subwoofer that would be a better choice let me know. I do have access to a couple 2 channel 4 ohm amps so I would like to stay 4 ohm to use one of these amps and save money there

Thanks again

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

It's difficult to make a small ported subwoofer that's tuned sensibly low. The port ends up extremely long.

I'd recommend looking for passive radiators. Use PRs around 2x the cone area of the main driver and similar Xmax, and you'll be good to go. PRs also make it easier to experiment with tuning - expoxy an M6 nut to the back, and then you can add a screw thread with washers, nuts, etc. Much easier than altering the length of a port once it's inside the enclosure.

Chris

I'm putting this idea aside right now.
I got ahold of a super low profile 10" sub (2" from mounting surface to bottom of mag) that should produce better lows and be a bit easier to build for.
It is from a car aio under seat unit. Not sure on the volume it will need being it came from an aluminium enclosure and there was an amp in it (the enclosure is long gone) but i do know the outside was 12" x 15" x 2.75" so i can use that to estimate sealed volume.

Make your own with 3" schedule 40 PVC pipe, and a 4"~5" driver.

Use conduit clamps to hang on the underside of the desktop.

The optimum tap for mounting the driver is at 1/4 of the total length of the pipe.

This is based on the half-square antenna, and actually works.

Make your own with 3" schedule 40 PVC pipe, and a 4"~5" driver.

Use conduit clamps to hang on the underside of the desktop.

The optimum tap for mounting the driver is at 1/4 of the total length of the pipe.

This is based on the half-square antenna, and actually works.
May consider doing a tube design if I can't make this 10" sub pan out.
Looks like it only had around a 0.20' sealed enclosure so I'm betting i can make a nice tight box for it.

Everything im seeing says 1/2" thick MDF or thicker but could I maybe use a harder wood and use something thinner like 1/4" thick?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.