Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

TAR (Tiny Array of Ripoles)
TAR (Tiny Array of Ripoles)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2017, 09:48 PM   #51
Brian Steele is online now Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinc View Post
The example I use is the "Anarchy tapped horn" If you were given the drawings for this box, and it was called the "Lotus flower horn," what would you point at to say definitively this is a tapped horn?
Does anyone have the Hornresp sim for the Anarchy TH? I got several pages into its thread on the AVS forum and gave up in disgust. Not one mention of the sim for at least a little peer review to be done.

However, from the response graph for the Anarchy TH that shows the sim'd results, it does look like the passband efficiency isn't significantly higher than the rated efficiency of the Anarchy driver, so technically it might not be a TH .

That design is due for an upgrade in any case. Back then, HornResp could not model the effects of filling. Now it can, and increasing S1-S2 and then filling it could deal with the peaks in the response and possibly extend the usable bandwidth.
Old 18th July 2017, 10:05 PM   #52
Brian Steele is online now Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinc View Post
How is that different than what William Glen did? See post 18 in this thread for a picture.
William Glen's design also used a whole lot of stuffing (which from the patent doc apparently kills quite a bit of its sensitivity in return for a slightly lower cutoff point and an extended passband. I don't think TD's designs use anywhere near that level of stuffing. TD's designs exhibit high sensitivity AND a wide passband - William's design seems to deliver only the latter result.
Old 19th July 2017, 08:41 AM   #53
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
Using a positive flair doesn't necessarily make it a "horn" either. I'll remind you of your thread on the subject of what constitutes a "full-size" horn
A horn is a pipe that expands towards the terminus. That's it.

Having a smooth frequency response is nothing to do with it IMO - many don't, and it seems like an odd qualifier: what looks smooth to you might be ragged to me.

Chris

Last edited by chris661; 19th July 2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 21st July 2017, 12:11 AM   #54
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Hi there,

As I don't want to open a new topic, and I was wondering where it would belong, I will ask here, though it may seem slightly off topic now, since the topic has turned toward tapped horns.

So, I have eight 10" bass drivers, no name that I bought cheaply and I would like to experiment a bit. Jugging from the size of the magnet, I'd say they have highish Qts (no real info though).

Two options: A set of Ripoles (4 drivers on each side), or something like Nelson Pass' "Slot Loaded Open Baffle", with the same drivers...

Did anyone have a chance to hear, and possibly compare both?

Thanks and regards,

Vix
Old 21st July 2017, 02:50 AM   #55
aceinc is offline aceinc  United States
diyAudio Member

Vix, depends on how much patience you have and how much you like to tinker. Since the geometry of the slot is similar for both, you might be able to build the slot piece, then put a "baffle" around it. Test it, listen to it, look at it, if it all the criteria are reasonable, make things permanent. If not, cut the baffle into pieces and wrap the slot appropriately to make an 4 driver ripole.

TAR (Tiny Array of Ripoles)Hide this!Advertise here!