Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds

David Mcbean, you and your benevolence are greatly appreciated!

You have given (and continue to give) a valuable gift to humanity in the form of Hornresp ..:hbeat:

pike.png

Last edited:
Hi Marcelo,

To convert the current version of Hornresp to a different programming language would be a massive task. Realistically, I cannot see it happening - for one thing, no one these days has the time to spare that would be required to complete the work (particularly young people).

Hopefully the number of VB6 programs out there will persuade Microsoft to continue supporting the language beyond 2024. I know of companies that are totally dependent on very large purpose-built programs developed and refined over many years, to run their businesses. The conversion costs for them would be huge.

Kind regards,

David

Image host domain failure ... Might need to have a script run if DIYaudio will allow

Hi, I can not see any of the images posted by you, s9.postmig.org is offline

Val,
Yes, it is unfortunate that my favorite image host has had some problems with their domain which makes the majority of the images i have posted in this discussion broken for the moment (except for the most recent posts) ..... This renders parts of the discussion much less useful to readers:(... ......

The image host has all of the images backed up on a different domain though , and to see them it is an easy swap to make on part of the address .... I need to talk to a DIYaudio site admin to see if they will run a simple seek and replace script for me in order to fix this ...

For example If the original image address is:

https://s18.postimg.org/7xl503hop/Compound_Loaded_Super_Planar_6th_order_kickbin_h.jpg

We can replace the "postimg.org" with "postimg.cc"

So the new address would be:

https://s18.postimg.cc/7xl503hop/Compound_Loaded_Super_Planar_6th_order_kickbin_h.jpg

:up:

.... I have been patiently waiting for the postimg folks to fix the problem and get their original domain back up and running, but it isn't happening :rolleyes:....... Some people are saying that it may never happen... Something about the original domain being struck from the registry? .... I don't know ..

I guess i need to start looking into getting someone at DIYaudio to run the script for me .. .

Last edited:
Once again: FaitalPro 8FE200

Seems I always come back to this little driver...

When max SPL is definitely not my concern, is there a way to fit it into a 6th order BP with a frequency range from, say, 35Hz to 130Hz?

The ideal footprint would be max 90cm wide by 35cm deep, max height 30cm.

Any ideas, MMJ?

P.S.: I'm still recovering from a really bad illness that had me confined to bed for now nearly twelve (!!) unproductive weeks. :mad:

Last edited:
I'm still recovering from a really bad illness that had me confined to bed for now nearly twelve (!!) unproductive weeks. :mad:

Gerald,
Yikes! That sounds very serious :( May you have a strong recovery and get to feeling better soon ...

Seems I always come back to this little driver (FaitalPro 8FE200)...

When max SPL is definitely not my concern, is there a way to fit it into a 6th order BP with a frequency range from, say, 35Hz to 130Hz?

Any ideas, MMJ?

The 8FE200 has an Fs value up around 80hz so it is not a good choice for a project that is intended to reach down to 35hz ..... That driver would be more comfortable tuned in the 60hz to 80hz range ...

What you are asking can be done with a different 8" driver that has a much lower Fs value .... Look for a driver with an Fs figure that is down around 35hz to 45hz ...

Gerald,
Yikes! That sounds very serious :( May you have a strong recovery and get to feeling better soon ...

Thanks Matthew,
seems recovery is harder than being ill. I've lost nearly 33kg in less than six weeks and am weak like a newborn...

The 8FE200 has an Fs value up around 80hz so it is not a good choice for a project that is intended to reach down to 35hz ..... That driver would be more comfortable tuned in the 60hz to 80hz range ...

What you are asking can be done with a different 8" driver that has a much lower Fs value .... Look for a driver with an Fs figure that is down around 35hz to 45hz ...

I know that Fs is rather high, but for this price I couldn't find anything more reasonable and, which is equally important, available here without paying an arm and a leg for shipping. I could even live with a tuning frequency up to 50Hz...

Thanks Matthew,
seems recovery is harder than being ill. I've lost nearly 33kg in less than six weeks and am weak like a newborn...

Take your vitamins, eat lots of hearty wholesome food, sleep, exercise .... Build yourself back up .. YOU CAN DO THIS! :happy2:

I know that Fs is rather high, but for this price I couldn't find anything more reasonable and, which is equally important, available here without paying an arm and a leg for shipping. I could even live with a tuning frequency up to 50Hz...

I am looking at a Hornresp model with the 8FE200 right now .... The driver really doesn't seem to like being tuned below 60hz , looks like it will start sounding "thin" if tuned lower than that and mechanical power handling is reduced while Group Delay increases with lower tunings........

The good news is that a tuning of 60hz gives you some very solid output to 55hz ... The response knee is right around 55hz and the cabinet has an F3 of 51hz .... ..Would make a fine bookshelf speaker :)........ This is an OD-QWP with a path length of 130cm with CSA of 400cm2 and a driver offset of 40cm ... Net volume is 52 liters ....

I will attach the import/export Hornresp file ..

Attachments

• 8FE200_GKH.txt
    1 KB · Views: 29
Paraflex Optimizations -- Gas Comp 12" (guesstimated parameters)

Looking at the GAS comp 12" that Johannes has been working with lately .....

Going with his guesstimations on the parameters i was able to adjust the model to optimize it for those parameters ... ( measured parameters for this would have been ideal of course) ....

I know it is probably too late to use this and i know he needed a minimum volume model for that particular situation but nevertheless this was a worthwhile exercise ....

Here is the overlapped response curves from both Hornresp models .. .

GREY= initial model posted by Johannes
BLACK= optimized model

Paraflex_Gas_Comp_12_-_Johannes_initial_model_response_versus_Op.png

and here is the Group Delay

Paraflex_Gas_Comp_12_-_Johannes_initial_model_versus_Optimized_G.png

The code for the optimized model (below)
Code:
ID=43.00
Ang=0.5 x Pi
Eg=60.00
Rg=0.00
Fta=0.00
S1=280.00
S2=280.00
Par=20.00
F12=0.00
S2=280.00
S3=350.00
Par=191.70
F23=0.00
S3=350.00
S4=800.00
Par=40.30
F34=0.00
S4=800.00
S5=800.00
Par=15.00
F45=0.00
Sd=460.00
Bl=19.70
Cms=5.34E-05
Rms=14.65
Mmd=407.08
Le=3.10
Re=2.00
TH=1
Vrc=0.40
Lrc=0.50
Ap=800.00
Lpt=75.70
Vtc=4000.00
Atc=400.00
Pmax=1000
Xmax=30.0
Path=0.0
Mass=0.00
Re'=0.00
Leb=0.00
Le=0.00
Ke=0.00
Rss=0.00
Rms=0.00
Ams=0.00E+00
Fr1=403.30
Fr2=0.00
Fr3=0.00
Fr4=0.00
Tal1=6
Tal2=100
Tal3=100
Tal4=100
Comment=GAS COMP 12D1 (estimated T/S) Adjusted model
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FILTER
      0   0.01    0.0     -1      0   0.01    0.0     -1      0   0.01    0.0     -1
      0   0.01    0.0     -1      0   0.01    0.0     -1      0   0.01    0.0     -1
  100   25    0    0
SSSS

Attachments

• GasComp12PARA.txt
    1 KB · Views: 64
Nice curve! Can you get the peak between 80-85hz with a 30hz f3?

Bp1Fan,
Load up that model from post #916 into your Hornresp and try it with different radiation angles .... You will notice that compared to .5Pi (1/8th space) the upper bump in response moves upward in 1pi (quarterspace) and a little further up in 2pi (halfspace) .......

As far as we can tell (so far) the actual placement of that upper bump doesn't shift nearly as much in relation to it's halfspace location as Hornresp suggests when the cabinet is placed in a car, truck or SUV..... In other words in an environment with cabin gain or boundary gain the response does indeed become more bass heavy as Hornresp predicts but the upper peak doesn't shift so much as just becoming less prominent ..... NOTE: These are just our initial impressions, nothing definite yet on this matter , we may revise our view on this later after reviewing more data .......