Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds

Have you tried calculating the new CSA for the LF path? The increase would improve performance down around 80hz :)

You may need to bring the "H"panel forward a little bit or sink the drivers further into the cabinet in order to get the proper driver recess depth :magnify:..

Your arrangement in this sketch would even allow you to reduce the baffle's toe-in angle to 20 degrees if you wanted to . .

I've tried, but failed miserably in the first chamber :(
By "H" panel you mean the one between the two paths? It could be reduced by 48mm, thus regaining a path lenght of 1000mm. Will redraw subito and come back :wave:

Edit: drawing attached, added CSA where possible

Attachments

• LA Top 2x10inch V3 dampened.jpg
    LA Top 2x10inch V3 dampened.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Working through the details

I've tried, but failed miserably in the first chamber :(

Gkh,
No big deal, that one can be closely guesstimated in sim (the speaker basket being in there doesn't throw us off too much)

By "H" panel you mean the one between the two paths? It could be reduced by 48mm, thus regaining a path lenght of 1000mm. Will redraw subito and come back :wave:

Yessir , that is exactly what i mean by the "H" panel ..... With some juggling between that and the driver recessing it should be possible to get our path length right while still having the 150mm depth where it is needed from middle of speaker frame to the front of the "H" panel (as shown in the edited sketch below) ... If the depth of the cabinet itself needs to be reduced a little then that is fine ..

Take a look at the notes that i added and let me know what you think of that ..
Super_Planar_Compound_Loaded_quarterwave_LA_Top.jpg

P.S. Vansickle and I are enjoying your excellent 3D sketch work :yes:

I want the same

What are you "hitting" with 100 posts of navel gazing* (101 if you count this one)?

I'd like to see some acoustic evidence this is worth the substantial woodworking trouble except as a delightful romp in theory spinning?

B.
*I'm estimating that 20 posts have empirical content

Bentoronto,
Indeed! I am right there with yah on that! .... While i am enjoying the romp in theory (and modeling in software) I would also love to have more solid empirical data to work with ..... So i can totally relate to what you are saying ...

Vansickle is now equipped to take some proper measurements, so i will pass along the data as i receive it, hopefully he will have some PA builds soon ..

In the meantime i am just navigating with what i have ...... This is a fairly new thing, and we will get through this, it will just take some time ...

GKH is going to give one of these builds a shot , it has been fun working through the details with him, and when finished we will have some new real-world data to work with :)

Last edited:
[QUOTE=gkh;5168849]Oh wow! After more than one month... :D :D :D[/QUOTE]

Good to see it come out of dormancy if only for a moment .....

Just waiting for the builders that i know to get another project underway ....

Sebastian has said he would like to build small dual 10 Super Planar tops for his living room system but i think he has other projects in que before he starts on the living room cabinets........

Mr Vansickle is ready to build another set just as soon as a customer requests PA tops or large subs ..... He has mainly been getting Car Audio and home audio Hi-fi jobs lately ..

Gkh , you may very well end up beating these guys to the punch!

MMJ,

I'm absolutely sure it won't stay dormant for too long (a major lottery win would be helpful, though) :)

If Sebastian or Mr. V. is interested in the 3D files for the waveguide, please tell me!

Before getting started with the SuperPlanar test stack, we gotta work on the sub...

Quarter wave resonators tend to sound very nice. Very punchy and energetic, and they tend to breath life into every recording in a way that makes you want to dance.

I believe this superplanar top would make a great top system to a ROAR bass horn. It should have a very similar character and behavior when you start pushing some real wattage into them.

Keep at it and don't let negative criticism put you of.

Cheers,
Johannes

The quality, contributory and constructive character of someones criticism says a lot about the one who criticizes.

I believe there is some paid trolls on a lot of forums these days. Companies who see there potential profit diminish due to amateurs beating them to ideas they are about to patent. They can get quite desperate and take to methods like paid trolling to undermine the development of great ideas.

This would explain why some people get so toxic in some threads but seem perfectly reasonable and sane in other threads.

Cheers,
Johannes

The quality, contributory and constructive character of someones criticism says a lot about the one who criticizes.

I believe there is some paid trolls on a lot of forums these days. Companies who see there potential profit diminish due to amateurs beating them to ideas they are about to patent. They can get quite desperate and take to methods like paid trolling to undermine the development of great ideas.

This would explain why some people get so toxic in some threads but seem perfectly reasonable and sane in other threads.

Cheers,
Johannes
That makes alot of sense.

Quarter wave resonators tend to sound very nice. Very punchy and energetic, and they tend to breath life into every recording in a way that makes you want to dance.
Do you include tapped "horns" as "quarter wave resonators" in your assessment?

Do you feel others who are not dance music listeners but acoustic instrument audiophiles would consider your comments as denigrating quarter wave resonators (where "punchy" and "energetic" are undesirable qualities)?

B.

Original dance music was made with acoustic instruments

I would like to expand that statement and say that the very first "music" was a steady beat with a staff while telling stories and passing along knowledge to future generations.
Percussion was the first "classical" acoustic instrument in use by humans. It has most certainly been in use for at least 250000 years.

Do you include tapped "horns" as "quarter wave resonators" in your assessment?

How do you define a tapped horn?

Do you feel others who are not dance music listeners but acoustic instrument audiophiles......

Whatever speaker pleases you - pleases you. I has nothing to do with my feelings. They are totally irrelevant to this.
I hope you find your own bliss wherever it might be.

I want to state my support of this very interesting thread, without having to defend my personal preferences.

Regards,
Johannes