Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds
Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2017, 08:55 PM   #621
gkh is offline gkh  Austria
diyAudio Member

Matthew,
my 15LB100 is here! Any chance for dimensions for the Paraflex?
Old 8th December 2017, 06:40 AM   #622
Matthew Morgan J is offline Matthew Morgan J  United States
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Absolutely

Gkh ,
Yessir , i will definitely put something together for you

In the meantime you want to get that guy (or lady if you prefer) broken-in (in free-air) before before he or she goes into a cabinet ...... Very low frequency sine-waves down around 25hz or 30hz with enough drive to get the cone moving moderately for several hours or more, or even overnight should suffice ....

Gkh , When you take the driver out of the packaging let us know what your impression of it is........... It's construction, appearance , quality etc ..
Old 8th December 2017, 07:02 AM   #623
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USRFobiwan View Post
MMJ, do you mean this Altec?

Adding a phase plug will give higher upper range.
Yes , like that one or similar such as the Altecs with the larger section on bottom for us to fold our longer QW path inside of .. ..

Since the High-Tuned resonator has such a flare it might be easier to simulate this one in Hornresp's "CH" mode ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by USRFobiwan View Post
I have about 6 drivers orders in preparation for prototype planar build (after I finished the TH218SC prototype) I am a bit behind i was struck with stomach flu since last weekend.

Thank you for the new sketches MMJ, appreciated!
No problem on the sketches Obi , and that is exciting news about the upcoming protoypes! I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Last edited by Matthew Morgan J; 8th December 2017 at 07:05 AM.
Old 8th December 2017, 07:22 AM   #624
gkh is offline gkh  Austria
diyAudio Member

Matthew,
this driver is really sturdy and, apart from some sloppiness, looking ok. Right now it's breaking in with 15Hz and approximately 3mm cone movement till tonight.
Old 8th December 2017, 07:49 AM   #625
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

CH mode or vented FLH should work.
Old 8th December 2017, 07:55 AM   #626
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkh View Post
Matthew,
this driver is really sturdy and, apart from some sloppiness, looking ok.
Sturdy is good! I think it is not unusual for Chinese budget drivers to have a little bit of sloppiness on the glue ... .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkh View Post
Right now it's breaking in with 15Hz and approximately 3mm cone movement till tonight.
Ok , you have the right idea

You can go higher in frequency if you want ....It is common to break drivers in that have lower Fs values with signals as high in frequency as 20hz or 25hz ........ That driver's Fs is probably up around at least 45hz-ish (the one that Sebastian measured had a 46hz Fs, partially broken in) , so you just want to stay well below that .... 30hz would still be safe in this case because we know the Fs isn't going to shift down that far during break-in ...... I would be surprised if the driver's Fs settles as far down as 40hz , It will more likely end up in the mid to low 40s unless this driver is substantially (pun intended) different than Sebastian's sample ..

Last edited by Matthew Morgan J; 8th December 2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 8th December 2017, 08:59 AM   #627
USRFobiwan is online now USRFobiwan
Horn Addict
diyAudio Member

I have never ever broken in a driver in 30 years. Replaced a lot of drivers mostly RCF ones since they where considered the best in my region back then. Replaced mostly in clubs at friday or saturday night, remember back 30/20 years ago drivers were not the quality they have now, and also not much on the limiting tools to protect speakers.

Weekly job, just Pull speakon, remove grill, get out drivers from sub, put in new drivers, put on grill, put in speakon, boem war volume. During the week replace recones. test if good, rinse repeat.

Last edited by USRFobiwan; 8th December 2017 at 09:02 AM.
Old 8th December 2017, 09:43 PM   #628
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

15LB100's price shipped to the Us = $162.50
Old 9th December 2017, 03:29 AM   #629
diyAudio Member

Smile Pros and Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDSANSUI View Post

grats for the Job
Thank you Sir!

Quote:
Hi MMJ, a single driver version for Super Planar Top would worth?
Sure! A single driver version can be made to work , and would be worthwhile ... I would expect that the dispersion would get narrow and start to beam if used all the way up into the upper midrange (just like it would with a direct radiating 10" , 12" or 15") ..... So you would want to have a lower crossover point or set it up as a 3-way ...... We have discussed a couple of possibilities for improving dispersion in a single driver Super Planar top cab but the only ones that have been built and put into service are the dual driver versions of the tops ......................... We do have many single driver subs though ...

Quote:

Could you check and also plot frequency response comparison versus vented box for the same driver?
With the Super Planar tops there are significant gains in efficiency and output to be made over a bass reflex cabinet but that extra performance comes at a cost, the Super Planar top will be much larger, perhaps twice the size, maybe more..... So there are pros and cons.... We just have to choose our compromises..... "There is no free lunch" as they say ... . We are paying a lot for our "lunch"

Freddi , has posted some great comparisons between some of our recent designs and other horn and bandpass designs ... None of those are simple reflex cabinets though ..

Using Hornresp would not be a good way to compare simple reflex cabinet to high performance quarterwave cabinets because the curve for the reflex will be optimistic and the difference between the two cabinets will be understated (especially the case at full power where port compression is coming into play) ...........

I have been disappointed by enough reflex boxes and impressed with enough quarterwave cabinets to know how this goes ...

A small ported (reflex) cabinet just won't compete with a much larger well designed quarterwave cabinet (using the same driver and tuning).... Unfortunately there are times when 2x (or more) the bulk plus much increased complexity & weight makes the high performance cabinet impractical, so in that case you fall back to simpler and smaller options if the application calls for it ....... Otherwise if weight, size and complexity aren't an issue then you should definitely GO BIG for a BIG sound! , it is worth it!
Old 9th December 2017, 03:31 AM   #630
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Not bad i think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
15LB100's price shipped to the Us = $162.50

Freddi,
Would you say that price is reasonable for a well executed B&C knockoff?

Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/buildsHide this!Advertise here!