Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds

Hi Ty and USRFobiwan - it will be interesting to see the performance increases vs say whats simmed below for Beta 6a. Beta6a doesn't have much motor strength but is relatively inexpensive and shouldn't burn out in home use..

MMJ - Delta 10a was fun in a little "K10" Karlsoin but could use the stub to flatten too much "hit" - probably around 210Hz.

These Super Planar and Paraflex are exciting territory for an old guy to see.,

k58lBCI.png

Early information about the Paraflex 4x8 top, project still in development stage

The Paraflex 4x8" or 2x8" top and the Super Planar 2x6+1 top that USRFObiwan (Plippie Plop on Fb) made are all Compound Horn variants (so there is no sealed rear chamber, and no helmholtz ported chambers or anything like that...I will show the layout to help explain.) ..

Here (below) is the predicted on-axis response of the Paraflex 4x8" top in halfspace at 1m, a single cabinet, modeled in Hornresp .. ....

The measured response of Obi's Super Planar 2x6" Obi carried out well past 1500hz no problem and i expect the same sort of results from the 2x8" and 4x8" cabinets, so we can disregard the upper response in the simulation ....

Paraflex-4x8-column-top-compound-horn-split-path-symm-spann.png

Here is a layout sketch (below) showing the main path (in red) on one side, and of course there is an identical path on the other side of the cabinet (the 4x8" is a split-path symmetrical design),and in addition to that there is the short high-tuned horn path directly in front of the drivers .... They all merge and share the same large mouth and to some extent the main path also couples to and shares some volume with the high-tuned short horn flare ....

Paraflex-PA-top-Compound-Horn-layout-path.png

From a top down view we can see the trapezoidal shape of the cabinet and estimated pattern when multiples are arranged in a splayed array . .

Paraflex-Compound-Horn-PA-top-splayed-array.png

There are a few different merge styles that we plan to try in our initial testing ... The C-series style is shown here (below), but there is also the "Option-X" style that we could try which will raise the fundamental tuning to some extent (desirable in some situations).... We also have the option of very easily converting the cabinet to a Super Planar ...

Paraflex-PA-top-Compound-Horn-2x8-or-4x8.png

All of these wonderful images are provided by Ty Cention of Kaironex :)

Last edited:
C-2D 1x15" kickbin measurement

Our friend Mark Tomlin in the UK measured his C-2D 1x15" kickbin outdoors recently, the curve is shown below.... ..Plans for this cabinet are included in post #1022....

Mark really likes these C-2D kick cabinets....He made a few recordings of them available to us, and they do sound nice...Very bold sounding kickdrum reproduction with a lot of dynamics and impact......

These are loaded with the Beyma G450N (dark red curve, look closely :magnify: ).... The Beyma 15P80nd (pink) was also tested out in this cabinet .. .. .... Both drivers models sounded good but they preferred the G450N ..

Mark says the dip at 250hz is not audible, and he only plans to use them up to 200hz anyhow but for the sake of science he will try a little damping/lining at S1 & also in the high-tuned resonator (large short resonator where the motor is located) just to see if the dip is alleviated to any extent ....

Phase response looks well behaved and other than the hiccup at 250hz this cabinet looks solid and useful out to around 430hz.

C-2-D-Paraflex-horn-kickbin-1x15-Beyma-G450n-red-and-15-P850nd.jpg

Last edited:
Comparing to the prediction Hornresp makes for this C-2D ... Not bad ..

Hornresp did a good job of predicting the C-2D Paraflex kickbin 1x15" response ... The average measured output from 260hz to 430hz isn't quite as far down (relative to the rest) as the simulation suggested it would be but other than that i am seeing some good correlation here within the intended operating range of this cabinet....

C-2-D-1x15-Paraflex-horn-kickbin-response-halfspace.png

Last edited:
Hey MMJ - would you provide a hornresp record or screenshot of input for this little 1-12 kickbin? With bracing
dividing the 15.5" dim, would 12mm BB hold down the fort when kicked to xmax?

sphcSU8.png

Freddi ,
Yessir, that is the split-path symmetrical Super Planar 1x12" cabinet ... We also have trapezoidal versions of these Super Planar tops/kicks , and non-split-path versions :)

Great performers and a simple build ...

I always thought that one of these cabinets loaded with a very bright driver and used with a big phase plug would look extremely cool and could make a decent top cabinet ....

If a person wanted to use multiples of them in a splayed array then they would build the trap shaped cabs ..

We have been working on the Paraflex variant of this cabinet, but so far the Paraflex type C-2D cabinets that have been built are just kickbins ( but perhaps soon we will have some Paraflex designs that are proven to be extended enough to consider a "top" , in fact Ty Cention is busy building a Paraflex 2x8" at the moment, and it is intended to be a top from 80hz to 2000hz (ultimately there would also be a compression driver to handle everything above 2khz) ... Testing will soon commence! :happy2: ) ..

Last edited:
terms and bandwidth , notes

NOTE: When it comes to the Paraflex C-2D 1x12s and 1x15s by "kickbin" i also mean what some folks call "low-mid" .. ... The C-2D's cover a pretty good stretch of bandwidth from 75hz to 430hz but we will be working towards extending the upper response much higher than that in order to have a Paraflex that we can honestly call a "top" ......... On the Super Planar 2x15" and 2x12" cabinets we found that we could extend upper bandwidth using some simple phase plugs (so this also can be applied to Super Planar 2x10" cabinets and SP 4x10" if arranged two-over-two like our friend Gary built) .....

We found that USRFObiwan's 2x6" didn't require phase plugs at all and has no problem reaching high enough to integrate with a 1" compression driver, and we are hoping for the same with the 2x8" and 4x8" tops :) ..

Last edited:
The 6" design sounds very appealing, is there any documentation on this? :)
Would love to pair these with an AMT driver of some sort..

Nathan,
I am surprised that USRFobiwan (Plippie Plop on Facebook) hasn't replied to your post yet ....Although i suppose He has been incredibly busy building eight Paraflex C-2E 1x15" cabinets which will be used at events in the future (hopefully he will post an update here about his new C-2E cabinets) ....

He has really been enjoying the little Super Planar 2x6" ... Ty Cention has also been enjoying his Paraflex 2x8" top ........... We may be coming up with some split-path symmetrical versions of these two cabinets with higher tunings, and higher efficiency intended for higher crossover points ...... Such a 2x6" would be great to use with our Paraflex C-2D kickbins :D .

Sorry Nathan, indeed I am a bit busy as Matthew mentioned.

The PL261 is a very potent option. I tested it with a P-Audio PH-CL25 waveguide since I wanted to hear the B&C DE250 CD on it.

I think an AMT or a 1" with a nice 90x60 waveguide is a good idea. You can shoot me a PM for the template I used.

Paraflex R-Type

Hey everybody! :)
The last few weeks Matthew and i worked out a Paraflex R-Type Subwoofer Cabinet. Driver is going to be the B&C 18DS115-4, but the actual measurements were taken with the RCF LF18G401-8.
From what i heard and tested so far (just measurements with the sub, playing some tracks just with the sub) i can say, that this is the most powerful subwoofer i've ever built!! :cool:
Have a look at the graphs and curves.
Sounds very strong, clear, punchy and also kicky!
The best thing of all is the overall directivity =) i measured 1m at the front and 1m at the back and we have up to 15dB cancelation at the rear of the subwoofer (orange graph)! A passive cardiod-subwoofer so to speak.
If you have question, tell me!
Next days the DS-115-4 will be delivered and i will repeat the testing with that driver.
Note for the measurements: They were done with a calibrated Umik-1. The other subwoofer (green graph) is a Big Tham (MTH46VS with additional panels - longered the horn path like in the plan attached).

Regards,
Patrick

Attachments

• R Type 3D 003 fully braced.png
    R Type 3D 003 fully braced.png
    58 KB · Views: 617
  • R-Type Input Data.png
    R-Type Input Data.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 591
  • R Type 18DS115-4 vs RCF LF18G401.png
    R Type 18DS115-4 vs RCF LF18G401.png
    50 KB · Views: 581
  • R-Type vs MTH46 THAM Mod RCF LF18G401.png
    R-Type vs MTH46 THAM Mod RCF LF18G401.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 362
  • R-Type RCF LF18G401 1m Front and 1m Back.png
    R-Type RCF LF18G401 1m Front and 1m Back.png
    155.1 KB · Views: 294
  • MTH46VS_Patrick_THAM_Mod.jpg
    MTH46VS_Patrick_THAM_Mod.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 454
  • Paraflex R-Type with 18SW115.png
    Paraflex R-Type with 18SW115.png
    95.8 KB · Views: 309
  • R Type 3D 003 dimensions.png
    R Type 3D 003 dimensions.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_20191121_175933.jpg
    IMG_20191121_175933.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_20191122_191035.jpg
    IMG_20191122_191035.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Hey Bryan! :)Yeah, i already discussed that with Mr Morgan, because your idea was one of my first ideas with that cabinet. If i remember correctly, the coupling with the high-tuned resonator will be missed then. And it would become some slightly different tone/character and response. Suggestion was to couple both resonators by that front-sheet.
I understand your intention - every bend costs bass-energy and dB at the end of the day. So that still has to be found out. ;)