Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds
Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/builds
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2017, 11:54 AM   #471
USRFobiwan is offline USRFobiwan
Horn Addict
diyAudio Member

I am looking at the images and i am thinking can't he fold it differently without wasting that extra space. 146db is probably reach at a 'one note wonder' in the competition. still very impressive number.
Old 10th November 2017, 12:58 PM   #472
luca4 is offline luca4
diyAudio Member

Resilient Sounds RS12 12" Subwoofer - D4
probably the RS 12 D4 has a very low price and has a good TS parameters for the Superplanar , better than RS 8 ....
But I can't find it on Europe....
Old 10th November 2017, 01:17 PM   #473
akvaro is offline akvaro  Spain
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca4 View Post
Resilient Sounds RS12 12" Subwoofer - D4
probably the RS 12 D4 has a very low price and has a good TS parameters for the Superplanar , better than RS 8 ....
But I can't find it on Europe....
Search it in ebay, but the shipping cost and taxes rise the price
Old 10th November 2017, 04:43 PM   #474
akvaro is offline akvaro  Spain
diyAudio Member

Interesting drivers on Europe:

MD Lab SW-C12
-Thiele looks very good
-Price 119
-No Le info
-No Xmax info
-No reviews or measures on internet

Rainbow Audio SL-S12
-Thiele looks very good, Le and Xmax is included
-Price 159-175
-No reviews or measures on internet

And luca4 im sure that if you search here, you can find something that fits your needs
Old 10th November 2017, 07:56 PM   #475
Matthew Morgan J is offline Matthew Morgan J  United States
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Drivers, things to look for ..

Hey guys ,

About drivers .... In order for them to be suitable they must have enough motor force ...

When the published parameters don't include the BL (as many don't) you can look to the VAS to give the Qts more meaning at a glance, when looking through ads shopping for drivers ................. You do this by making a note of the VAS in reference to the Qts .... If the VAS figure is very low while being accompanied by a low Qts then this is indicates a strong motor, especially when the Le is low in relation to the Re ....

If you think you have found a good candidate you can take the time to plug the parameters into Hornresp and it will calculate the BL for you , and the effective BL (adjusted for "Lossy Inductance") ..

Lets take a look at the Dayton HO 12:

VAS= 50 liters (somewhat tight suspension for a 12" driver , although can be as low as in the 20s with some very tight 12s)

Qts= .3 (nice and low considering the VAS)

Re=3.2 ohms

Le= 1.75 (almost a 1:2 Le to Re ratio ...... A lower Le in relation to Re means that we retain more effective motor force after the Lossy Le is calculated)

and now lets take look at the Resilient Sounds RS 12:

VAS= 58.9 liters

Qts= .38

Re= 7.6 ohms

Le: 4.07

You can see from the above comparison that the RS 12's motor is not quite as strong as the Dayton's HO 12's motor ............ This is reflected by the required cabinet volume in simulation .... The Super Planar 8th is very demanding in regards to effective motor force .. .

Super Planar 8th cabinet size for dual 12s tuned to 35hz ..

DAYTON 12 HO 4ohm = 420 liters

RESILIENT RS 12 = 530 liters

(divide this volume by 2 for a single 12)
Old 10th November 2017, 08:04 PM   #476
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlomanen View Post
146.4 dB from a single 8 inch driver! Congrats on a great performing design!
THANK YOU JOHANNES!

The equivalent sound pressure level in halfspace is -18db-ish . .... So not so extreme when you think of it in those terms, around 128db , similar to a PA 18" in a less complex 40hz tuned cabinet, but yes definitely good for an 8" in a 50hz tuned cabinet
Old 10th November 2017, 08:12 PM   #477
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USRFobiwan View Post
I am looking at the images and i am thinking can't he fold it differently without wasting that extra space. 146db is probably reach at a 'one note wonder' in the competition. still very impressive number.

USRFobiwan ,

Thank you
Being tuned to 50hz means that the box doesn't have a lot of extension but it does reach up into the 150hz range (in simulation) , so a fair amount of bandwidth for a cabinet design that had extreme efficiency as it's primary focus ..... The bandwidth sets it apart from the typical one-note-wonder SPL boxes being used in car audio ....... The owner tells me that it is pleasantly "musical" sounding for many tracks that don't rely so heavily upon deep subbass content ..
Old 10th November 2017, 08:18 PM   #478
diyAudio Member

I am taking off for the weekend, leaving town to go to Las Vegas for a family event I won't have internet access while i am gone so if there are more questions about the Super Planar 8th i will be answering them when i get back...

HAVE A MAGNIFICENT WEEKEND GENTLEMEN!!
Old 11th November 2017, 07:24 PM   #479
BP1Fanatic is offline BP1Fanatic  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice work with the 8! The fold does have a lot of wasted space tho.

MMJ, no internet access in LV??? I'm on my cell 95% of the time on this site!
Old 12th November 2017, 03:11 AM   #480
USRFobiwan is offline USRFobiwan
Horn Addict
diyAudio Member

mmj, what I meant was that in competition usually they use one note (frequency) for getting the high spl. most of the time box tuning frequency or even better the cabin gain frequency.

Compound loading 6th order quarterwave "Super Planar" horns and pipes concepts/buildsHide this!Advertise here!