Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Plate amp or iNuke for 2 DIY subs???
Plate amp or iNuke for 2 DIY subs???
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2017, 07:50 PM   #1
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Plate amp or iNuke for 2 DIY subs???

I have 2 well built Altec cabs that are 4.5 cu ft each I want to make subs with. While looking for drivers and amps, I found I can get 1 two channel iNuke with DSP for less than 2 BASH plate amps. I don't see a down side to the iNuke, do you?

Also, the baffle is cut for a 15" driver but a 12" would work too. Ideas for good drivers?

With these 2 more subs I'll have 4 in total
Old 15th June 2017, 08:55 PM   #2
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

iNukes are decent for LF and midrange use, but I find them a tad rough compared to HiFi amps in the HF. Lots of power for little money, and the DSP is excellent.

I see a lot of recommendations for the Dayton Ultimax drivers. Haven't tried them myself, though. A more budget option would be the JBL GTO1214, if you can still get them. They're not bad, but I think their distortion performance could easily be beaten by something nicer.

Chris
Old 15th June 2017, 09:51 PM   #3
straight8s is offline straight8s  Canada
diyAudio Member

Bash isnt nothing like what it used to be. A couple of the less expensive alternative class D pro amps I heard with premium speakers are excellent on sub duty, and werent too shabby performing HF.

Hypex are doing great things while operating in full range. with thier class D but their plates/ DSP aren't exactly inexpensive. One of the best sounding preamp amp combos I heard has hypex D modules in it. I would happily trade in my A/B for a set of NAD M22.

The inuke claims to makes stupid power, I wonder if anyone has put one on a bench to confirm the numbers.

Last edited by straight8s; 15th June 2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 15th June 2017, 11:31 PM   #4
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djn View Post
I have 2 well built Altec cabs that are 4.5 cu ft each I want to make subs with. While looking for drivers and amps, I found I can get 1 two channel iNuke with DSP for less than 2 BASH plate amps. I don't see a down side to the iNuke, do you?

Also, the baffle is cut for a 15" driver but a 12" would work too. Ideas for good drivers?

With these 2 more subs I'll have 4 in total
Which iNuke are you looking at getting? There are several models.
Old 15th June 2017, 11:33 PM   #5
Brian Steele is offline Brian Steele  Grenada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight8s View Post
The inuke claims to makes stupid power, I wonder if anyone has put one on a bench to confirm the numbers.
They actually have been benched. A Google search should bring up the results. Short version - drop a zero from the name if you want to get an idea of the continuous power output per channel into 8 ohms.
Old 15th June 2017, 11:33 PM   #6
zettairyouiki is offline zettairyouiki  United States
diyAudio Member

Only drawback of the iNukes is they have noisy fans. You can either put it in a different room or do the Noctua fan mod.

Other than that, I highly recommend them.
Old 16th June 2017, 12:36 AM   #7
wmd916 is offline wmd916  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight8s View Post
https://youtu.be/73Z2fNcGGDI
Old 16th June 2017, 12:45 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm looking at the 1000 into 4ohms so it should be around 200 wpc. I don't play music above 95 to 100 split so don't need gobs of power.

Yes, I would do the fan mod.
Old 16th June 2017, 01:07 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks WMP. I followed your link and found his test of the 1000.

https://youtu.be/Ibsvu1xownw

Even though they over rate their amps, it still has all the power I need and a DSP to boot
Old 16th June 2017, 03:49 AM   #10
gadut is online now gadut  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

I'm looking for the same decision to power 2x21" per channel, between inuke nu3000dsp or nu6000dsp vs Apex H900tef + minidsp 2x4

inuke give a plug & play solution but when you look at those smd parts, and some post mentioned that you cant get parts replacement, it will be a nightmare in the future.

while H900tef look like diy PA amplifier that already give satisfaction to PA business guy.

searching continued....

Plate amp or iNuke for 2 DIY subs???Hide this!Advertise here!