best diy subs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi

i am after buying 4 do it yourself subs that are incredibly cheap to build that can compete with the very best subs currently in the market for sound quality with the very lowest frequecy bass extension and sounds top notch i want it for bone crunching teeth rattling gut wrenching make you jump out of your seat and give you goose bumps for all out gun blazing action movies scifi and horror movies and i want it sound incredibly good with music

i want the best diy subs that will work the best with
a marants 7010 amp and a emotiva xpa3 gen3 amp using rbh impressions speakers comprising of 4 r55ti front and rear speakers r56ci centre speaker 2 r5bi as extra rear speakers 4 mc-815 in ceiling speakers to make it 11.4 i will connect front and centre speaker to the emotiva and the rest to the marants using blue jeans speaker cables and a oppo 205 4k player thanks

Do some reading around and get a pile of the best displacement-per-£ drivers you can. Go infinite baffle. Something like 8x JBL GTO1214 and an NU6000DSP would be a good start. Still coming up towards £1000, though.
You've spent a good amount of money on the rest of the system, and yet you're after top-performance subs for bottom-dollar prices. Can you see how that's going to cause some difficulties?

If you're near Sheffield, give me a shout and maybe I can bring some kit to try for an afternoon.
I've just finished a set of four 15" subs that I use for live music. Felt the bass just fine at 40' outdoors. They don't go as low as you might want for home theatre, but indoors they'll make themselves very well known in all the ways you describe. You could probably DIY them for around £1500.

Chris

I agree with infinite baffle...OR some sort of setup that uses a feedback system (aka, servo)

But what others have said; if you want to compete with the best systems, 'cheap' is not going to cut it. The only way I see that happening is buying used bits of kit, which would surely come with risk. :Pawprint:

True, DIY is always going to get you the best bang for the buck, but I think you need to be reasonable with your expectations...;)

I do wish you luck in your endeavors..

Cheers
-Steve

A Different Tack

hi

i am after buying 4 do it yourself subs that are incredibly cheap to build that can compete with the very best subs currently in the market for sound quality with the very lowest frequecy bass extension and sounds top notch i want it for bone crunching teeth rattling gut wrenching make you jump out of your seat and give you goose bumps for all out gun blazing action movies scifi and horror movies and i want it sound incredibly good with music

i want the best diy subs that will work the best with
a marants 7010 amp and a emotiva xpa3 gen3 amp using rbh impressions speakers comprising of 4 r55ti front and rear speakers r56ci centre speaker 2 r5bi as extra rear speakers 4 mc-815 in ceiling speakers to make it 11.4 i will connect front and centre speaker to the emotiva and the rest to the marants using blue jeans speaker cables and a oppo 205 4k player thanks

... "Subs" = 80 Hz and below. Use Servo-Control. See example.
Rythmik Audio • Direct Servo subwoofer products
WHG

Joined 2008
Paid Member
For slamming pounding bass, you need to move a bunch of air 80-200hz.

Chris is right, use many 15's.
Under 80hz is more rumble than slam.

Using same room and subs, double 15's work well for pounding bass, better than many other combinations I've tried.

Very interesting. This is very close to the frequency range where I run my push-pull, slot loaded speakers. ( In my case, 60-250Hz ). But I am only using 2x12's per side. 100db/watt sensitive. The room is a tad bit larger than 3000
cubic feet. I do run subs below 60hz, and I would agree with you, it's mostly just "rumble". Of course this adds to the sense of "scale". Many times in the past, I have recommended the use of 2x15's per side, for a bass solution that does not commit to using "subs". 4x15's per side should be even better !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.