Slim subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Due to some physical limitations, I would like to build a slim subwoofer box (kind of, without ambitions of going below e.g. 100Hz, just testing how far I can get). Dimensions could be 400mm x 600mm x 50mm, but the problem is that the two large surfaces (40x60cm) cannot be used for mounting drivers. So I can only mount several small rectangular loudspeakers found in some sound bars / TV sets / monitors with a width of 30-40mm.
I could imagine multiple driver units connected in parallel/series, maybe combined with some bass ports going from one box wall to the other with a hole in the middle. Can I get a workable solution in this way? Are there any designs of this kind out there already? Any ideas about other approach that I should try?

Those are difficult dimensions.
I would probably just put as many rectangular speakers as possible in there to get maximum cone area. Probably keep a sealed box, and EQ as needed.

With 24 of these: SC 4.7 ND - 8 Ohm
You get the cone area of a 10" speaker. They should fit around the outside of the box.

If you wanted to go further, you could use more of those drivers and use a lot of smaller enclosures to build a total size of 400x600mm.

Chris

What frequency range are you looking for, or better yet, what crossover point?

I'm using a similar setup (though larger) where the driver is mounted in the large plane, inside the cabinet but is ported to the side. Which in your case could mean using shallow (depth) 3" drivers with more appropriate Fs and specs.

This does however introduce a band pass effect which limits the upper frequency/ crossover.

Best regards

Well, that's frequency range is certainly possible, as long as you keep the front chamber volume as small as possible. A flattish cone driver will help to achieve this, as well as a phase bung (object inside the chamber occupying volume).

Alternatively you could treat it as an off-set horn (which is easily simulated in Hornresp), in that case the closed end part of the horn needs to be kept as small and preferably as undeep as possible. The mouth however can be made relatively large to increase output many dB beyond single driver output.

The rear chamber could be ported as well, to give significant more output overall (down to 80 - 110 Hz).

Johan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.