10" Kickbin / Frontloaded Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,

this is my first thread at this forum.
I want to buid a small soundsytem. As sub i want to use 4 x 10 inch tapped horns. As Midtop I have 4x 6 inch Reflex enclosures.
Now I am looking for some kickbin for 80-190 hz (+-10hz)
I already have the B&C10PS26 left. I have some 8" drivers also, but I think the 10" is the better choice.
So i would be glad if anyone could help me or have an idea for a 10" frontloaded horn.
Regards
tuffgong

That Karlson thing seems very interesting. And it is a lot of stuff i found. Is there a rule how to construct or calculate this enclosure for 10"?
I found scaling thing from K15 to K12. It seems to use 4/5 of the K15 if you use a 12".
Is it the same with the 10"?

0.62 Scale Karlson with Beta10cx 10 inch speaker
vnHnxao.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vnHnxao.jpg
Beta10cx in 0.62 scale Karlson (a bit less than 2 cubic foot external bulk) vs a Karlsonator 12 cabinet
88ONFB0.gif

If scaling, probably a 0.7 scale would reach a bit deeper than my 0.62 scale. 0.75 scale would be just about the size of the official K12.
You may not want the front shelf scaled - it could be shorter -

Karlson 15 plan from Radio and Television News January 1954. K15 was introduced in the fall
of 1952.
http://i.imgur.com/oRygnBt.png

The Karlson K12 was introduced in the fall of 1954 - First with a horizontal slot port and adjustable rear lodpass choke.

Then around 1956, K12 was modified to have a distributed slot port. Karlson, like other cabinets were mainly sold without drivers and I suspect the slit port helped with higher Qts speakers of the day. If driven with sine wave around tuning, those narrow slits will develop
very high air velocities and distort badly. That doesn't seem to happen with music transients but I would go with a single port - or maybe two just in case as opposed to the narrow slits. A 12 square inch port would be about right for a K12. Better to have one a bit big and adjust than a port too small.

1954 K12 Plan
http://i.imgur.com/ZMGQve3.png

1956 K12 Plan
https://public.bn1301.livefilestore...39j/transductor-bo.jpg?psid=1&rdrts=165109659

You could make a cabinet just a "bit" smaller than a K12 - say scale it so there's about one cubic foot rear chamber after driver displacement.

There was also a "Dutch" K12 - not Karlson designed but seemed to be popular, which used a distributed port with 3 large slots. It looked like it would tune very high but I think the front aperture was controlling system tuning like a series 6th order bandpass.

BTW, a compression driver can be added with a slotted pipe like Karlson's "X15" cabinet. K12 with the slanted panel would be a good candidate.

The slotted tube could be mou9nted internally, or placed on top as with the old Transylvania system

A one inch diameter pipe with ~5.3" long half ellipse slot works fine with one inch drivers

kdMAWNM.jpg

soundl12.jpg

Last edited:
0.62 Scale Karlson with Beta10cx 10 inch speaker
vnHnxao.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vnHnxao.jpg
Beta10cx in 0.62 scale Karlson (a bit less than 2 cubic foot external bulk) vs a Karlsonator 12 cabinet
88ONFB0.gif

I'm trying to figure out what would be the draw of building a design that has a massive and broad ~15dB "dip" in its response around 500 Hz and a passband response that looks a bit like a cross-section of the grand canyon.

IMO there are simpler designs available will likely have a smoother passband. A simple FLH with the 10" driver, for example. And easily simmed in HornResp, no guestimmating of compartment size required.

and a passband response that looks a bit like a cross-section of the grand canyon. IMO there are simpler designs available will likely have a smoother passband
It's measured in a cramped room, with 1/6th order smoothing.

Those measurements are good for comparing the 2 designs to each other but as they both have a broad dip around 500 Hz, it could as well be a room influence, be due too the measurement setup as well as be design related. 10 - 12 dB dips measured in-room are to be expected.

Johan

A 10" Rocket would be OK with a coax - in larger sizes they're awkward to lift onto a tripod. I would stick with a regular Karlson for ease of carrying and placement - plus a regular K is a natural to add an internal K-tube tweeter.

Carl N. made some klam10. Up close, they can have some "bounce around"- "sea shell" artifacts as the speaker is buried pretty deep. I have seen horns put on top of a klam such as the double klam on top of a golf cart

it would be interesting to see what xrk971's K15 program says for some little K with their vent shut off. (sealed rear chamber) qts or around 1 would keep the back chamber small. The OP has a strong motor 10 so that may benefit
from a vented K. A K12 should be ok.

Here's Carl's klam10 with the old strong motor B102

iwoBHla.jpg

my friend who cut a couple of klam10 for me, went by a radius given by Carl - I should have
double checked that vs the slot length as things turned out choked
3NzKAXh.jpg

Jess Oliver's "Magna-Clam" was the same speaker I think as Karlson's APX100 - a 15" Altec
with internal K-tube. They were installed at Radio City Music Hall

I have a klam15 based on that Alan Weiss "Rocket" (the original "Rocket" was Karlson's KR5 mini speaker
with like a 4 inch tv/radio speaker) The 15 klam sounds pretty good but is hard to move.
a2uYY4b.jpg

Klam15 with Eminence 15 coax and a K-tube poked down the HF horn's throat. By having the tube
exit near the main aperture, dispersion is pretty good/useful plus the highs are mainly removed from the influence
of the front chamber - it actually sounds pretty good with the coax horn buried deep.

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mupb8X6iZ6I

Last edited:
Hey DJK

mid 1960's K12 kit with 12-hole port - is there a lot lower air velocity from this port than the saw blade height slits used in the 1956 K12? - a nice set of K12 made pretty may be my next speakers after the baby University Classic FLH

ZxGbIup.jpg

ip5l9A0.jpg

same model with blank port panel
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

rough dimensions from kit brochure - all material was 3/4" particleboard
1pSgd4r.png

Last edited:
It's measured in a cramped room, with 1/6th order smoothing.

Those measurements are good for comparing the 2 designs to each other but as they both have a broad dip around 500 Hz, it could as well be a room influence, be due too the measurement setup as well as be design related. 10 - 12 dB dips measured in-room are to be expected.

Johan

We're talking about a broad dip that goes down 15dB @ 500 Hz. Considering the wavelengths involved, this is likely due to a problem with the design, NOT a "room effect". So no wonder it shows up in both measurements.

Look, to me believing that the Karlson design is a sound one is a bit like believing that vaccines cause autism. No matter how the damned science says otherwise, people still believe in it. The Karlson design came out in the 50's, and it was done by a guy who designed on "intuition", i.e. no real science involved. The "theory" he used for the design has been rubbished over and over, and yet still the design persists. I'll give you a few quotes - notice the dates on them!

15-OCT-1994

The place escapes me, but there was an informed article about this
enclosure design some years back. *The Karlson was breathlessly
advertised back in the fifties and acquired a certain following. *It
purported to be an act of genius. *The authors of the article in question
ran the enclosure through all the tests and, moreover, worked out all the
math on the enclosure. *It combined reflex loading with a horn. *The
baffle sloped back into the enclosure and a "horn" mouth was approximated
by simply attaching two curved face pieces to the upper half of the
enclosure. *The authors of the article in question point out that Karlson
had no engineering training whatever and worked from instinct. *It was a
remarkable instinct, however, for they demonstrate how at every turn in
his design, Karlson made the worst choice possible. *The measured
response of the enclosure is the worst ever published. *A side benefit
was that you could use any speaker driver in the enclosure--Karlson said
they were all optimal in it. *This was back in the days when folks bought
raw drivers and mated them to an enclosure, before T-S notions (first
popularized by Nowak of Jensen Loudspeakers in 1962) prevailed.
It is not surprising that an electric guitarist fancies the enclosure. *
The amplified guitar sounds so ugly that distortions are bound to be
euphonic.
Doug Purl

17 Apr 1995
Subject: Re: Karlson Acoustic Transducers

I've got a factory built Karlson cabinet sitting in the garage. Bought it
at a yard sale for $5 complete with a pristine Jensen H-555 12"
co-axial unit. Not a bad deal. Five bucks for the cabinet alone, however,
is the world's worst deal since this cabinet exemplifies what is
probably the worlds worst design. [come to think of it, for that reason
alone, it's worth MORE than five bucks 8*)]

Karlson was an untalented amateur with some absurd ideas about sound
reproduction. Virtually every design decision implemented in creating his
"exponential slot" front loaded cabinet was dead wrong. It would take a
lifetime to list his mistakes. But, you ask. how do these
mothers sound?? They sound as theory predicts - lousy. Some people
claim they had great bass. Come out to Annapolis and listen to mine.
What you will hear is an incredible upper bass peak centered at between
80 Hz and 120 Hz and mud everywhere else. I'll be happy to donate the
cabinet to whoever is willing to come out to Annapolis and pick it up.

Take my Karlson - please!

18-APR-1995

It is _Annie Hall_ where Woody Allen emerges from a movie theater on a
first date with an ingenue who announces that she is a Rosicrucian and
solicits his opinion. "I don't hold with any religion," he answers,
"that advertises in the back of Popular Mechanics."

Or, to paraphrase General Buck Turgidson in _Doctor Strangelove_, "Gee,
I'd love to have me one of them there no resonance at any frequency
Karlson enclosures.

I once wrote a long piece on the Karlson posted on the organ list, and I
did a shorter one on this list last summer. At one time students at Cal
Tech Pasadena were given the problem of mating a driver with a Karlson
enclosure, of which they had a pair. This was before computer programs
made such things simple. As Martin points out, Karlson was an
"instinctive" engineer. Unsullied by any formal training in mathematics,
physics, or engineering, he was inspired one day by the sight of an Altec
theater system (A-5?--the big boy with a horn array and multiple woofers
in a combo reflex/short front horn) to solve the problem of bass through
the marriage of several principles. The result is the equivalent of an
elephant designed by a blind committee.

If you want to hear how bad sound can be, this is the enclosure.

Hi Guys,

this is my first thread at this forum.
I want to buid a small soundsytem. As sub i want to use 4 x 10 inch tapped horns. As Midtop I have 4x 6 inch Reflex enclosures.
Now I am looking for some kickbin for 80-190 hz (+-10hz)
I already have the B&C10PS26 left. I have some 8" drivers also, but I think the 10" is the better choice.
So i would be glad if anyone could help me or have an idea for a 10" frontloaded horn.
Regards
tuffgong

I did some searching around, and I'm not seeing much PROPER kick-bins designed around 10" drivers.

Here's a few examples that use larger drivers:

MKH-230

MKB-230

Here's one that uses two 10s, and a more complex build, with no HornResp sim: MT102

For best results, I suggest taking one of these designs as a starting point, work out the HornResp sim, then resize for use with a 10" driver by reworking the sim to get the best results with your driver's t/s parameters.

10ps26, as expected, looks pretty terrible in a scaled-down (0.7) La Scala like Volvotreter's early experiment. In theory it looks good in a 0.7 scale University Classic but that thing has a tough to cut and fit throat.

that B&C would be fun for my toys

50ncxNO.jpg

If the throat could be simplified then it might be worth a go - I think 0.7 size is about 6 cubic foot bulk
Q3z30Jb.jpg

Last edited:
You are great.
@Brian: Yes there are no plans for Kicks with 10". That's why i am asking
I know the french designs by Marc and asked him already if the B+C will work in a scaled MKT-30 MKT-30
But he said no.
And the MT130 is a Midtop starting at 150HZ. i am looking for a cabinet from 80-190hz. I have a lot of discussion in another forum about my B+C in this cabinet as Midtop. And it will not work in this. At first the xmax is to high and in that kind of flh the driver will not make a large xmax. so the problem will be cooling the coil. Drivers for that kind of flh need a xmax of max.2mm

@Freddi: Thanks for that sims. Indeed looks the sim for the Univ.Classic with the B+C good. Where can I found a plan? I am carpenter. So woodwork is not the problem.

The CuboKick is ok. But as I read in that thread it starts at 110hz with a 12". I think thats a bit to high.

About the size: It would be good, if the cabinet is not bigger than 55-60cm (21-23") in length. W + D is not so importent.
It should go up til max. 200hz. My Reflex Tops can go down far enough. But I think I will use them til 150-180Hz because of Xmax at high level.

Is there a reason, why 8" and 10" are not used in kickbins?
And maybe a simple reflex enclosure will work good as kick. or what do you mean?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.