Speaker for closed sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm looking for the "best" speaker to make a pair of closed sub for the house.
12" could be ok, but I'm open for other size (damned WAF...).

Don't need a real sub that goes down to 20Hz, 40Hz could be ok, but I want the bass to be clear and percussive.

Any input appreciated !! :)

Blo

Peerless XLS 10" (830452) is the best driver you can get in reasonable money if very small sealed sub is the target. It will work great especially in small sealed cab becouse of unique combination of low Qts, low Vas, low fs, high Xmax and high BI. I have built four 12dm3 sealed subs which work like a charm in that tiny enclosures. I have built a few for others, everyone are amazed of articulation of that bass. I am using Hypex stuff. I can call it "fast, musical, kicking" like a hell. All you need to do is to apply on them mild DSP equalisation called Linkwitz transform and to cut them reasonably low, for example with LR2 x-over scheme at 70Hz. Resulting Qb is around 0.5 and -6dB high-pass point is set at 40Hz resulting in minimum group delay, symmetrical transfer function around its natural in-box resonance. Which is relevant, most of subbas is played with "below fb" part of system transfer function which is (for me) the thing which make it so cleanly and dynamically sounding. They are hidden behing sofa, curtains, door and other corner and it sustain flat FR down to 10Hz thanks to room gain. They are four, placed strategically so almost no room modes are excited. Absolutely no need to force free-air FR to be flat to 20Hz and then break it down to form that awful "knee" on transfer function and boost group delay to the sky. It will deffinitely do more harm than good. Stick to my idea. Perfect bass.

Last edited:
@Windforce85 : thanks ! Few years ago I cut more wood than today, but the picture didn't change a lot, same usual suspect like the Peerless XLS... and yes, I'm considering doing the Linkwitz twist (again).
Could you tell me what is the high cut freq you're using ?

@scottjoplin : size nor WAF are not a real issue, but, well, if it's not a 200 liter box, it's better.

As you might get, it's for music, not for HC.
The Perless could be a little bit expensive for the moment... any other idea for less $€£ ?

@Windforce85 : thanks ! Few years ago I cut more wood than today, but the picture didn't change a lot, same usual suspect like the Peerless XLS... and yes, I'm considering doing the Linkwitz twist (again).
Could you tell me what is the high cut freq you're using ?

@scottjoplin : size nor WAF are not a real issue, but, well, if it's not a 200 liter box, it's better.

As you might get, it's for music, not for HC.
The Perless could be a little bit expensive for the moment... any other idea for less $€£ ?
I built a closed box of 50 litres for just one Scan Speak 12 inch Discovery and it sounds just right not overblown but good tight bass.
I am using it with a 400 watt Hypex amplifier with bass boost and it is flat down to 40hz

@scottjoplin : well, around 100£$€ for each speaker would be good.

Of course I'm ok with you about going lower than 40Hz, but for much instrumental music I think it's a good reference, for instance because this is ~ the lowest freq of a double bass. So for much the music I'm (very personal indeed !) listening to, it's ok, at least for this project.

Yes, agreed, but I ask you to consider the bottom A on grand piano (27Hz), ok it is not played very often but how about when the sustain pedal is used, it is going to resonate and add to the sound that is a grand piano. Then of course there are the lower harmonics also.

Again, I agree, but for this project the low E of a double bass is the point ;)
And I'm a bass player, so lows I love !
By experience I think 40Hz is really a good reference. I prefer a speaker with beautiful limited lows than running after the very everything one could expect from a record. That's why I'm looking for this 40Hz Closed box.

Here I'm trying to get most, not all, of the "common" instrumental music. Not looking for the big tube of an grand organ or the last note of a contrabassoon. But I know they are played sometime, but for this project, I'll stay a bit higher.

@RobWells : I think it's possible, do you have some speaker in mind ?

Around the 100 per driver budget I'd be looking at Fane drivers. You might find something from P-Audio fits the bill too. 'The Box' speakers from Thomann seem to get a lot of good feedback for budget speakers so might be worth a look.

Just noticed you want a closed box though, and PA stuff will need to be ported....

Rob.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.