given a prefab ported box, can I estimate a reasonable sealed box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I scored a sub at the local thrift store for under $5 that works great and is better than my current living room sub. So, I swapped it out and took apart my old living room sub with visions of sticking it in my truck more to even out the sound than anything. The sub is a Sony 8" 100w 6 ohm sub from the HT-DDW670 combo that I got on craigslist special and put in some better speakers. According to my quick tape measurements, the sub enclosure is .6 ft^3 after port and driver displacement. The port dimensions are 2.5"ID x 9.25"H. Plugging things into a quick online sub tuning calculator, it seems to be tuned at around 38-40Hz.

I'm thinking to go sealed because space is very limited and I don't need crazy volume. I just want a little boost on the bass since my door speakers start tapering off way up around 60Hz. My question is; is there a 'general rule' to sealed box volume vs ported box volume for the same driver? I know sealed subs are much more forgiving to build, but could I effectively build a .3 - .4 ft ^3 sealed box and have it perform reasonably well, or is it totally taking a shot in the dark without proper driver specs to model out?

I was once told that a size within reason didn't matter that much because "it's all cabin gain" when asking about sealed in a vehicle.
As a result, I have 2 downfired 12's, pushing 600W in a single box about 13x26x10" in my trunk, sounds fine for a car.

But to the title of your thread, and whether it's a shot in the dark without knowing more? ...affirmative.

YMMV

I was once told that a size within reason didn't matter that much because "it's all cabin gain" when asking about sealed in a vehicle.
As a result, I have 2 downfired 12's, pushing 600W in a single box about 13x26x10" in my trunk, sounds fine for a car.

But to the title of your thread, and whether it's a shot in the dark without knowing more? ...affirmative.

YMMV

Hi wreckingball and kcducttaper,

Agree...

FYI:

b:)

Attachments

• Guestimated-TS-for_Sony-8inch-100w-6 ohm-sub.JPG
    Guestimated-TS-for_Sony-8inch-100w-6 ohm-sub.JPG
    482.7 KB · Views: 64
Goodness; you sure dropped the math on that sucker!

Looks like I might as well go ahead and build a ~.4 ft^3 sealed box, stuff it, and see if it's any good. For a $5 driver using MDF I already have; what could possibly go wrong? Besides; if it does turn out to be junk, I can always drop in a TangBand, or Dayton HO in its place.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.