Inverted subwoofer driver displacement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have some doubts related with enclosure volume before and after mounting a subwoofer in the inverted way, I don't remember how do you call this technique, but I see it like the subwoofer is not only not taking any space (no more driver displacement), but increasing it because of the cone curvature.

In sealed enclosures it's not too important to know how much space the driver is leaving/adding, after all we know it;s just a minimum compared to the total space and therefore it won't affect much. But this minimum numbers are very important in ported enclosures, because of the precise calculations of everything that port need in order to sound as good as possible.

I don't know if I should measure the volume of that cone's curvature and simply add it to the total volume enclosure.:confused: thanks.

Hi, I have some doubts related with enclosure volume before and after mounting a subwoofer in the inverted way, I don't remember how do you call this technique, but I see it like the subwoofer is not only not taking any space (no more driver displacement), but increasing it because of the cone curvature.

In sealed enclosures it's not too important to know how much space the driver is leaving/adding, after all we know it;s just a minimum compared to the total space and therefore it won't affect much. But this minimum numbers are very important in ported enclosures, because of the precise calculations of everything that port need in order to sound as good as possible.

I don't know if I should measure the volume of that cone's curvature and simply add it to the total volume enclosure.:confused: thanks.

in practice with simpler designs it makes little difference to invert. unless you're dealing with a large driver with a huge cone the difference to tuning will be minimal. nominal construction differences will make a larger change.

There are some designs that uses inverted driver, thus front is firing into a closed chamber. For example the design of the Turbosound TSW 218. To my mind it makes no sense. But seems it works.

really a simple thing, as sound is emitted from both sides. the advantage to inverted is no volume displaced and motor cooling. downside being most people forget to invert polarity and mechanical noises.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.