Titanic MkIII 15" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2004, 11:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Titanic MkIII 15"

Does anyone have any opinions on this driver? First of all, I'm in the UK so I don't have a lot of choice with regards to sub drivers. This driver appears close to the ultimate (I know of the Adire Tumult, but it's ridiculously expensive) in terms of Vd and power handling. I'm planning on using this in a sealed box with EQ and around 500W of power.
At the current exchange rate I can get this from Parts Express, devliered to my door, for 175 all-in.
The official (and only) Adire dealer in the UK sells the Tempest for 195 inc delivery - and the Tempest seems to have slightly weaker specs.
PE also sells the JBL SUB1500, which has very similar specs to the Titanic but has a shorting ring (and so I presume less distortion) and weighs a substantial amount more (40lbs vs 26lbs). This costs around 50 more with the added delivery costs.
The only other place in the UK that sells suitable drivers is www.bkelec.com with the Eminence LAB12 - this is around 135 incl delivery.

I want to get the best bank/buck that I can, and it seems to me that the Titanic is probably that. Does anyone think differently or have other drivers to recommend?

Thanks
Old 14th March 2004, 12:51 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm familiar with the Tempest, but after perusing the MKIII's specs (which has a shorting ring) I'm inclined to agree with you in your case, plus it doesn't need as large a cab for a given alignment

GM
Old 14th March 2004, 05:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The Titanic Mk3 is an excellent sub for the price.
Old 14th March 2004, 08:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

how expensive is the lab12? here its 450$ to my door, which is redicilous considering that the NZ dollar is so strong, and its 150$ US In the states!

i pay 130$ NZ shipping or so! but i NEED one for my horn...
Old 14th March 2004, 04:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys. I'm gonna have to buy the Titanic pretty soon - while the exchange rate is still in my favour. Will be purchased tomorrow
Old 19th March 2004, 12:26 PM   #6
TeePee is offline TeePee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Did you order that Titanic? I'm just wondering how long parts express orders take to bve delivered to the UK.

Thanks!
Old 19th March 2004, 02:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

woah it has a shorting ring! i wonder how low the distortion really is..
Old 19th March 2004, 03:32 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikee12345
woah it has a shorting ring! i wonder how low the distortion really is..
http://www.mfk-projects.com/titanic_mkiii_vs_xls.htm
Old 20th March 2004, 03:58 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

THATS what im looking for! i didnt know the guy had done mk3 version

Cheers
Old 21st March 2004, 05:30 AM   #10
jonz is offline jonz  Canada
diyAudio Member

I still won't overlook the Tempest..they both have 2 and half inch voice coils ..the MK111 has about 4mm more of x-max...but one option that the Tempest has is the dual vouce coils which gives you flexebility..to experiment with diffrent voice coil configuratiions.Also the progressive spyder in the MK111 makes it difficult to power above 105 spl..meaning it would be optimum to have around 1000 watts..the PE sells it in a kit form wiht a 1000 watt amp.Your 500watts will do more for the Tempest than the Titanic.

Hide this!Advertise here!