Tapped Horn for B&C 15NW100 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2017, 11:01 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

If they will be equal to the THAM designs regarding volumetric efficiency given similar tuning and driver size remains to be seen, but is looks very promising, they will no doubt be bigger but also significantly more efficient, what is certain though is that they will be a lot easier to build than the THAM designs (which has been well received in this regard).
Old 9th January 2017, 04:17 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
Hi martina,

I'll attach the dxf file w/ the extension changed to .txt, just change it back to .dxf, and it should work. I used 3/4"nom. 23/32" plywood in the drawing.

Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinsson View Post
If they will be equal to the THAM designs regarding volumetric efficiency given similar tuning and driver size remains to be seen, but is looks very promising, they will no doubt be bigger but also significantly more efficient, what is certain though is that they will be a lot easier to build than the THAM designs (which has been well received in this regard).
Have you ever considered a tham15 that simply stretches the depth of the cabinet, to get a slightly longer path length, without any extra folds?
Old 9th January 2017, 04:36 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
Have you ever considered a tham15 that simply stretches the depth of the cabinet, to get a slightly longer path length, without any extra folds?
That was my idea
Old 9th January 2017, 05:09 PM   #24
tb46 is offline tb46  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi turbodawg,

Post #22: "Have you ever considered a tham15 that simply stretches the depth of the cabinet, to get a slightly longer path length..."

Martina's box dimensions add about 3.9" per horizontal horn path segment in my drawing (Post #10). I still like it better w/ the added bottom segment, but it depends on how low you want to go. My original drawing used dimensions to provide for better wood use w/ 4'x8' sheets...

I think the original THAM15 was optimized for minimum cabinet size, but martinsson can elaborate on that.

Regards,
Old 9th January 2017, 05:29 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb46 View Post
Hi turbodawg,

Post #22: "Have you ever considered a tham15 that simply stretches the depth of the cabinet, to get a slightly longer path length..."

Martina's box dimensions add about 3.9" per horizontal horn path segment in my drawing (Post #10). I still like it better w/ the added bottom segment, but it depends on how low you want to go. My original drawing used dimensions to provide for better wood use w/ 4'x8' sheets...

I think the original THAM15 was optimized for minimum cabinet size, but martinsson can elaborate on that.

Regards,
Thanks! I saw the drawing from post #10 and it looked really great, but considerably more complex to build than a normal tham15. It seemed like the normal tham15 could be extended back, and still keep the simple design? Like the proportions of the tham10 here:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by turbodawg; 9th January 2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 9th January 2017, 06:59 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

As far as I understand the principle requires the driver to be located at the far (inner most) end of the resonator, along with the tapping function, the THAM designs do not rely on any form of quarter wave resonator loading after the tapping function.

Making a THAM design folding "deeper" and moving driver as far in as possible would add a quarter wave resonator loading function to the tapped sum, this would however mean that you end up with an excessive L12 length, or a larger unused (enclosed) volume in the folding (similar to the one shown in the bottom right corner in the development THAM10 release above).

Am I understanding you guys right? or did I miss something in your question?

This is a work in progress, this far the folding I found that makes the best use of the cabinet dimensions, specially the depth which is critical since it determines the QWR function tuning, can be seen below, this also allows for the minimum amount of outer single wall surfaces (two) in need of coupled bracing :

This is a work in progress, so don't take the above picture to seriously.

Last edited by martinsson; 9th January 2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 9th January 2017, 10:16 PM   #27
epa is offline epa  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

this looks familiar
Old 10th January 2017, 05:26 AM   #28
NEO Dan is offline NEO Dan  United States
diyAudio Member

The last TH I built was also a 15" with a big deep mouth, for use in big stacks.

TH18 for scale:

Old 10th January 2017, 05:53 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think the original THAM15 was optimized for minimum cabinet size, but Martinsson can elaborate on that.
The THAM15 (designed in 2009) was my first attempt at designing a tapped horn, and I spent a lot of time together with Johannes Rodin, co-designer of the entire THAM series, along with support from various forums trying to get a fold that provided as much as possible in terms volumetric efficiency (dB/W/m/m3) in a real world usable range (~40Hz and up).

Keep in mind that the THAM15 design roughly eight years old now, a lot has happened with regards to our understanding of the tapped horn design principle, the excellent software Hornresp provided by David McBean and driver development since then.

Given that a lot of absolutely excellent tapped horn and other designs has sprung from various open collaborative forum efforts over those eight years I'm very happy to say the popularity of the THAM designs has stayed fairly high and they are still very popular.
Old 10th January 2017, 06:00 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

NEO Dan

That must be the most evil looking TH I have seen so far excellent design looking at the expansion and sheet layout, usually I'm allergic to enclosed volumes in a fold but this monster sure makes up for it in a big way, where can I find more info on this?

Hide this!Advertise here!