25Hz for $25!! Dayton 299-114 1301469W

Isobarik made with large Y with cutouts
Check back on post 19
inside.jpg

Last edited:
Inktoresting design. :)

Not that impressed with the driver tho, sorry

Better driver Peerless by Tymphany SDS-160F25PR01-08 6-1/2" Paper Cone Woofer Speaker

Higher spl, greater Xmax, lower mass, and cheaper too boot.

This is what I use in my MLTL (hate that nomenclature)

Be careful with ISO, the inner driver will hit Xmax before the outer driver. If pushed hard will hit Xmech doing damage before you realize it, well, that is if the extreme distortion level doesn't get your attention first. ;)

edit
This driver use to be listed as a subwoofer on Tymphany's website. I never understood why as it is nothing more than a decent midbass IMO.
Hi, What have you done with these? I noticed the number looked familiar. I have four of them sitting still packaged up from when they were shipped from PE like a year ago or so. They looked a be a good candidate for iso with that ‘big’ VAS.

Hi, What have you done with these? I noticed the number looked familiar. I have four of them sitting still packaged up from when they were shipped from PE like a year ago or so. They looked a be a good candidate for iso with that ‘big’ VAS.
I bet you could find another pair. I'll guarantee this is the best $25 subwoofer ever made lol That deep bass follows me around the house like a new puppy.
Checked the ohms today - 5ohms, working fine with a inexpensive a/b amp bridged for 150watts (I doubt it's putting out that much).

That’s nice! how thick is that material on the tubes? They look pretty heavy walled, Or you have an inner ring of wood to reinforce ?
Tubes - dumpster diving. The rest is 3/4" mdf. The inners rings are built-up to make a "basket" for the front drivers.
As mentioned, Iso's can build up positive/negative air pressure and cause havoc -- I see these have large vent holes in the magnet, so that's not going to happen.

hmmm, i crunched some numbers for curiosity's sake.

*Fs: 38 Hz *SPL: 83.5 dB 1W/1m
*Vas: 0.55 cu. ft.
*Qms: 6.74
*Qes: 0.64
*Qts: 0.59

if you use 1 driver I get.
Standard ported
vb1.93ft3
f321.88hz
tune25.76hz

If I remember, clamshell (isobarik) design, you can half the box volume needed.
So you can do 6 of those (isobarik) in 3 ft3 ?
And sure enough, you have just under 3ft3.......................

I cannot comment on distortion reduction, I've never seen any graphs.
But in Stereophile, they were a bit of a thing over 20 years ago.

Very cool, and something really different !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Norm, sounds like what I have. I can't remember if I came up with idea in the beginning or not, but remember running it WINisd.
Had a revelation yesterday when I connected it to a a/b amp, the bass didn't go as far down and turned the subsonic filter off.
The plate amp I was using had a 6db boost -- this speaker doesn't need that. The system was singing like a bird yesterday - great fun.
[sub amp not shown]

temp.png

Reactions: 1 user
Inktoresting design. :)

Not that impressed with the driver tho, sorry

Better driver Peerless by Tymphany SDS-160F25PR01-08 6-1/2" Paper Cone Woofer Speaker

Higher spl, greater Xmax, lower mass, and cheaper too boot.

This is what I use in my MLTL (hate that nomenclature)

Be careful with ISO, the inner driver will hit Xmax before the outer driver. If pushed hard will hit Xmech doing damage before you realize it, well, that is if the extreme distortion level doesn't get your attention first. ;)

edit
This driver use to be listed as a subwoofer on Tymphany's website. I never understood why as it is nothing more than a decent midbass IMO.
Hello, I bought a pair of SDS-160F25PR01-08 and two pairs of Peerless tweeters, TX25BG60-04 and BC25TG15-04 to choose for MLTL, it is possible that you can share me your MLTL design please?

Last edited:
Greets!

FYI/FWIW, you got me curious to try HR's wizard, so did a max flat default L*0.349 offset MLTL (61.5" tall/56.36 L/35 Hz Fb) based on a a fairly common 38" seated ear height to the woofer center, though of course all can be adjusted to suit if driver offset is one of these: (L) ~ 0 (top), 0.217, 0.349, 0.424; vent: (L) ~0.651, 0.714, 0.848, 0 (bottom)

Attachments

• SDS160F25PROMLTL.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 56
The 6-6"woofer box was a fun build, but haven't found a home for it yet.

Another project since then was with a pair of vintage NNT 12Ohms - in a large sealed box .707Q
First sealed box that sounds like a ported box that I've owned; now finished, the box is on a dolly in the garage.

Don't forget about yard sales guys,,a while back wife said neighborhood yard-sale. I rushed over there first thing I saw a JBL 10 powered sub in a nicely finished box; strange and frightening at the same time but a deal for $20

Right, next thread 20hz for $20

Greets!

FYI/FWIW, you got me curious to try HR's wizard, so did a max flat default L*0.349 offset MLTL (61.5" tall/56.36 L/35 Hz Fb) based on a a fairly common 38" seated ear height to the woofer center, though of course all can be adjusted to suit if driver offset is one of these: (L) ~ 0 (top), 0.217, 0.349, 0.424; vent: (L) ~0.651, 0.714, 0.848, 0 (bottom)
Good info, sadly too advance for my little knowledge, I'm good for building speakers cabinets, just don't know how to design them.
Thank you!

NB,
The tuning now is @ 25hz, which could move down as posted earlier in this thread. The back is removable so can trim the ports down easily.

The plate amp is a no-name knock off, but looks very familiar - I'm sure it was inexpensive (at the time purchased)