jbell and others- please help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So the concensus is no on the t39:)

Do you think the ss15 will get me where I want to be with 8? realistically, what kind d of spl do you think that would produce at war volume?

Btw, that inlow horn looks great in the sim....not sure what voltage he was using to get that plot though over 115db....but it sure is nice and flat. I think it's a bit too big for me though.

Ss15 will probably be very good for your needs. Some seem to hpf the master at 45 hz anyway for live music to keep a clean sound.

8 will probably produce in the 144 dB region(only my guess), ive heard one, slightly modified, compared to keystones and they are good

Hi didjitaol,,

Here is the SPL I get for the original SS15, and for the same box w/ the height increase by 4" (H=34" instead of H=30"). In groups of eight you get quite a bump at the low end, that's one of the reasons people go to front-loaded horns when they are using high multiples. There was one guy in the singlesheet thread that used six SS15 if I remember correctly, and liked the results a lot.

Regards,

Attachments

• SS15_std_v_H_plus_4in.PNG
    SS15_std_v_H_plus_4in.PNG
    37.8 KB · Views: 191
I looked for the hr inputs for the original ss15 with the 3015lf and couldn't find an official version. do you have them? all the ones I've seen use different ts parameters for the driver, and none of them match what I find as ts specs from the manufacturer. I'd like to see if if can tweek a little to get better extension or higher spl as I don't have the same single sheet constraint. I also want to see how much spl you would get from 8 together, but not sure how to do that in hornresp. everytime i try to model in hr i get a plot similar to yours, but when i put like 200 watts into it for max spl graph, it goes nuts and looks crazy. must be something im doing wrong...

which trace in the graph is the taller one btw?

Hi didjitaol,

You may have to measure the drivers you have on hand to see which version of the 3015LF you have.

The SS15 is optimized for the "original" 3015LF, and seems to work well with all versions of that driver. I have been using jbell's T/S parameters (I'm attaching what I think is jbell's original enclosure data w/ his T/S data.). If you go through the singlesheet thread, you can find all kinds of versions:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/170771-single-sheet-th-challenge.html

In Hornresp: simulate a single enclosure, calculate acoustical power, go to 'Tools' - 'Multiple Speakers' - set the 'Parallel' field to 8 - hit 'OK': this gives you the SPL curve for 8ea. parallel connected speakers. Click 'Tool' - 'Compare Previous' and you get both-the original and the 8ea.-curves.

In the graph in Post #24 the darker curve is for the taller cabinet (taller means longer horn path, lower tuning frequency and lower output level).

Regards,

P.S.: The 3015LF datasheet is from Jan 2011.

Attachments

• Kappalite_3015LF_Primopdf.pdf
    117.3 KB · Views: 52
  • SS15_org.txt
    1,013 bytes · Views: 38
Last edited:
Hi didjitaol,

Post #27: "...I right that I can sim max spl too with that tool?"

When looking @ the acoustical power graph click on 'Tools' - 'Maximum SPL' this opens up the 'Maximum SPL' Window asking for power in watts and displacement in mm (by default the program uses the values you entered under 'Driver Parameters' after double-clicking 'Sd' on the 'Input' page). The graph then shows the displacement limited response in red, and the power limited response in black; use the 'Sample' tool (under 'Tools') to see the details.

In contrast the regular acoustical power graph uses the input voltage specified in Eg to calculate the response.

Regards,

Hi didjitaol,

Post #31: "...how do you make the spl graph into a jpeg..."

I use the free version of Gadwin Printscreen:

https://www.gadwin.com/download/

As Windows 10 has finally killed my Picture Publisher, I'm using Paint to add comments, etc.

Post #32: "Here's my data...digihorn.txt..."

It's a somewhat unconventional shape, should work, but needs to be evaluated through an experimental build. It also has a net volume of 392.6 L, that's bigger than what you initially wanted, and opens the door to other designs?

Post #34: "No one?"

Sorry I missed your design, but got busy w/ another design, Post #533: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subw...2-based-pa-tapped-horn-35hz-extension-54.html
This one is a dual 18", but half of it would work just fine. It's larger than your target, but maybe food for thought?

Regards,

Just throwing this out, as it pretty much meets your requirements and is really easy to build. I'm a mobile dj and am getting into some larger events and am building these: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3414854
The pal 12 will do 35 Hz and uses the $170 lab 12. I'm going for the lab 12c for the 4 ohm goodness. Two standing upright will couple to give you 135 db, and a stack of 4 (2x2)on their sides with the horns all tight against each other should reach 138+140. And they are 15" wide! Not positive if there's efficiency measurements, I'd have to go back through the thread. For some reason 102 or 103db comes to mind for a pair but don't quote me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.