Super Compact Subwoofer Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Total newbie here so I hope someone can help me with some questions please!

I've done extensive couch-based research and searched the forums here but I can't find definitive answers...

I want to make a super compact subwoofer for my kitchen (girlfriend won't tolerate large cabs) and I have in mind the Tang Band 5 1/4" subwoofer driver which I would like to put in a very small cab which I have attached an image of.

My questions are:

1. The manufacturer specifies "Vented Volume0.26 ft.³" - does this have to include the port volume area as well?

2. How small could I make a vented sub with this driver? I want to make it very thin and long to fit under a table.

3. In the (very) rough design I sketched I have a t-line like vent. Will this benefit the sub in the most compact cabinet I can use?

Like I said, very much a newbie to this craft so would really appreciate some help, thank you!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3112.JPG
    IMG_3112.JPG
    467.7 KB · Views: 1,269
The box you sketched will behave as ported, not as a transmission line. You might want to reduce the number of bends, as each bend induces losses and port noise. A straight port works best. If you have to make bends, make the bending radius as large as possible.

The volume occupied by the port is in addition to the recommended "box volume". Your proposed design is a good way to make a compact sub.

Great, I'm glad I'm on the right trail.

This sub requires tuning to 35hz, how long and wide would I have to make my slotted port?

Above an article suggested a length of 9" with a 1.5" round port. Can I use the same length but make the port 1" wide (utilising one full end height of the cabinet)?

I understand I can't have too narrow a port or it will whistle(!).

Thank you for your replies!

How would I pick a suitable width and length for tuning to 35hz. I have read a 9" circular port would do this. Would this type of vent need to be 9" long?

My presumption is that a 0.75-1" width port that is about 6" high with a length of 9" should be suitable? Would this work?

Thank you all again!

Hi grahamgraham,

Post #1: "...help me with some questions please!...I can't find definitive answers..."

Here are some links:

1. Brian Steele's page: The Subwoofer DIY Page then:

2. subwoofer builder on ports: Port Flares and:

3. Elliott Sound: DIY Audio Articles

That should get you started. :)

I recommend learning Hornresp to simulate your enclosure.

I'll attach a simulation using the data you provided: bass-reflex enclosure for a Tang Band W5-1138SMF: net volume of rear chamber Vrc=7.36 liter (.26ft^3), and 1.5"Dia.(area: Ap=11.4cm^2) by 9" long (length Lpt=22.86cm) port (duct/vent).

The ***.txt file can be exported into Hornresp. Hornresp is available as a free download here: Hornresp

There is a lot of support here @ diyaudio, and elsewhere for Hornresp, and it comes w/ a good help file. Also, to get you started:

Hornresp for Dum... hmm... Everyone ;) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

I'll attach some data on ports posted by bjorno. You can search the diyaudio subwoofer forum advanced search for, e.g.: Keyword: ports User Name: bjorno, or ports/GM, and you'll find all kinds of entries.

I would recommend a slightly larger enclosure, and a bigger cross-section port (maybe 2"Dia.?). But, you can fiddle around in the Wizard in Hornresp, and make up your own mind.

Good luck w/ your project. :)

Regards,

Attachments

• gg1138br.txt
    992 bytes · Views: 30
  • W51138SMF_Input.JPG
    W51138SMF_Input.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 958
  • W51138SMF_SPL.JPG
    W51138SMF_SPL.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 954
  • making_correct_port_length_using_2_walls_portcorrection_rev2_by_bjorno.JPG
    making_correct_port_length_using_2_walls_portcorrection_rev2_by_bjorno.JPG
    821.4 KB · Views: 960
Post #9

Hi again,

I messed up in Post #9, and posted the simulation/SPL for a dual driver box using the W5-1138SMF. Load simulation into Hornresp, under Tools - Driver Arrangement choose 'Normal Nd' click OK, and the Input screen field that now says 'Nd 2S' should say 'Nd 1'. Then you can play around w/ the volume, etc...

Regards,

Wow!!! So much info, thank you so much I have a lot to learn!

I am about to post a second revision of my design and would love your opinion!

Thanks!

G.

Hi grahamgraham,

Post #1: "...help me with some questions please!...I can't find definitive answers..."

Here are some links:

1. Brian Steele's page: The Subwoofer DIY Page then:

2. subwoofer builder on ports: Port Flares and:

3. Elliott Sound: DIY Audio Articles

That should get you started. :)

I recommend learning Hornresp to simulate your enclosure.

I'll attach a simulation using the data you provided: bass-reflex enclosure for a Tang Band W5-1138SMF: net volume of rear chamber Vrc=7.36 liter (.26ft^3), and 1.5"Dia.(area: Ap=11.4cm^2) by 9" long (length Lpt=22.86cm) port (duct/vent).

The ***.txt file can be exported into Hornresp. Hornresp is available as a free download here: Hornresp

There is a lot of support here @ diyaudio, and elsewhere for Hornresp, and it comes w/ a good help file. Also, to get you started:

Hornresp for Dum... hmm... Everyone ;) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

I'll attach some data on ports posted by bjorno. You can search the diyaudio subwoofer forum advanced search for, e.g.: Keyword: ports User Name: bjorno, or ports/GM, and you'll find all kinds of entries.

I would recommend a slightly larger enclosure, and a bigger cross-section port (maybe 2"Dia.?). But, you can fiddle around in the Wizard in Hornresp, and make up your own mind.

Good luck w/ your project. :)

Regards,

Thanks everyone for the input!

I have had a really good look at the Voxel Sub and taken onboard the suggestion that it needed a slioghtly larger cabinet and port.

So I have attached my new design (MK3 doodle and model) that has an 8 litre cabinet with around a .5l port which is 5" high by 8.5" long.

I am a little concerned the port is a bit too large, can anyone advise on this?

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3289.JPG
    IMG_3289.JPG
    537.1 KB · Views: 358
  • You_Doodle_2016-10-31T20_30_43Z.jpg
    You_Doodle_2016-10-31T20_30_43Z.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 352
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.