Subcompact 18 Component Replacement / Upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, longtime lurker would like your assistance on choosing a replacement 18 " woofer for the Peavey Subcompact 18.
I use these live in a 1 person setup with backing tracks (rock/country) in 75 - 150 person venues. They don't sound half bad with some EQ tuning and the physical size is right for my purpose.
I'm not sure of the history on theses components thus I'm in for a replacement or upgrade if possible. I really don't have the necessary knowledge to choose a suitable or better replacement woofer thus my asking you knowledgeable folk. :)

Some details: This is the Peavey Subcompact 18 not the Peavey Sp Subcompact 18.
The are bandpass with triangle ports in the bottom right and top left corners. The woofer is not front facing, it's a diagonal mount that faces the top left corner.

Some specs:

Subcompact 18 Specs:

Frequency Response: 47 - 200Hz (+/- 3db)
LF limit (-3db): 47hz
Usable LF limit (-10db): 39Hz
Power Handling: 350W Continuous (52.9V RMS)
700W Program
SPL: 99 db
Max SPL: 122 db

Transducer: 1801-8 Black Widow
Tuning FBox: 62Hz , 170Hz
Impedance: 8ohms
Dimensions: 23 3/4" W x 27 3/4" H x 20" D
Volume by Outside dimensions: 7.63 cubic feet

Model: 1801-8
Diameter: 18”
Impedance: 8Ohms
Power Capacity: 1400W peak / 700W program / 350W continuous
Sensitivity: 97.0 dB/1w 1m
Usable Freq Range: 35Hz - 1 kHz
Voice Coil Diameter: 4.0”/100MM
Weight: 18 lbs. / 8.2 kg
Znom(ohms): 8
revc(ohms): 6.23
Sd (square meters): 0.124
Bl (T/M): 18.00
Fo (Hz): 40.4
vas (liters): 284.9
Cms (uM/N): 131.1
Mms (gm): 118.00
qms : 5.59
qes : 0.577
qts : 0.523
Xmax(mm): 5.0
le (mH): 0.30
SPl (1w 1m): 97.0
No (%): 3.18
vd (cu in/ml): 75.6 / 1239
Pmax (watts pgm): 700
disp. (cu. in /ml): 228 / 3737
Replacement Basket: 00560490

Many thank for any and all info you can provide.

Last edited:
Why do you want a replacement woofer? What type of eq are you using to make it sound not half bad?

If you are using eq to boost frequencies below 62 hz this will be a problem. That's your cab tuning and no matter what driver you use you shouldn't attempt to go lower than that.

If you want to go lower than 62 hz you need to modify the cab or build a new one. A replacement driver won't help. A much more capable driver might allow you to push it a bit more but below 62 hz you are in the danger zone.

I'd like to replace whats in there as I'm unsure how reliable they are. I'm pretty sure one of the BW's was replaced with a Low Rider. I'll pop of the grill to have a look. I used the RTA on a DEQ2496 to smooth out the response, subtracting mostly. There have been occasions where I'd like to push them a tad more, so yes, a more capable driver would be in order. :up:

I'd like to replace whats in there as I'm unsure how reliable they are. I'm pretty sure one of the BW's was replaced with a Low Rider. I'll pop of the grill to have a look.

If you have a LowRider that is already a much more capable driver than the 1801 but it's not at all suitable for that enclosure. If you don't have Lowriders then that is what you buy, but you will be junking those boxes and building reflex enclosures.. something at about 7 cu/ft tuned to 35hz will work much better.

If you have a LowRider that is already a much more capable driver than the 1801 but it's not at all suitable for that enclosure. If you don't have Lowriders then that is what you buy, but you will be junking those boxes and building reflex enclosures.. something at about 7 cu/ft tuned to 35hz will work much better.

Yes one of them is a Low Rider and the other is Black Widow. They both look to be replacements that was done prior to my owning them.
Building a set of boxes was something I haven't considered but certainly open to it. From my understanding the Bass Reflex boxes require more power than Band Pass? Any good designs of the DIY flavor around?
I did take a quick look around and come up on these 184 Subs. They are not Bass Reflex though but the size looks to be very manageable, a little taller than the subcompacts. The freq response looks to be very good as well. Anyone try them?

Speakerplans.com

That is another bandpass design and again it's not suitable to the drivers you have. Is the Lowrider driver still working? How much amp power do you have available. The Lowrider in the box suggested above will take full rated power and deliver 130dB which is more than both of the subcompacts could do and should be plenty for events the size you are doing.

That is another bandpass design and again it's not suitable to the drivers you have. Is the Lowrider driver still working? How much amp power do you have available. The Lowrider in the box suggested above will take full rated power and deliver 130dB which is more than both of the subcompacts could do and should be plenty for events the size you are doing.

Yes Bandpass design. Yes Low Rider is still working. PV2600 driving the subcompacts. I do believe it can do 1300 x 2 @ 2 ohms, 800 x 2 @ 4 ohms, 540 x 2 @ 8 ohm. 2600 @ 4 ohm bridged, 1800 @ 8 ohm bridged.

From what I gather, correct me if I'm wrong, order in a low rider or two, use the subcompact boxes, rip out the band pass, put on new fronts with low riders mounted in them, put in proper port and play boom boom with the redesigned subs?

I appreciate your input, many thanks.

The inside of the current subcompact box will have a volume of aprox 6.25 cu/ft.
Using the Low Rider in a reconfigured Bass Reflex configuration according the spec sheet and WinISD the -3db point will be 39.33Hz, -10db point will be 27.38Hz. That's with a pair of 6 in ports at 15.41 inches in length.
That's an improvement in the low area. Not sure on the SPL.

I have the opportunity to purchase a set of EV Eliminator i Subwoofers, on the cheap. It's the same design as the Peavey Subcompacts, cabinets are shaped differently. Box design is at 50Hz though. Waiting on confirmation that the drivers are DL18MT and not whats listed on the info below. I'm wondering if there is much of a real world difference between the Subcompacts and the Eliminators?

Specifications
Frequency Response:.......................... 40-100 Hz, ±3 dB
Long-Term Average Power Handling,
EIA RS-426A: ........................................................ 400 watts
AES (1984): ........................................................... 500 watts
Sound Pressure Level, 1 W/1 m:
Full space .................................................................... 98 dB
Half space .................................................................. 101 dB
Crossover: ....................... Acoustic/electronic filter output
Transducer Complement: ......................... 1 ea DL18BFH
Impedance,
Nominal: .................................................................... 8 ohms
Minimum: ............................................................... 5.1 ohms
When used with Eliminator i ™ in satellite configuration nominal
4 ohms, minimum 3.2 ohms.
Enclosure Tuning: ................................................... 50 Hz
Input connectors:
1/4-in. phone input
1/4-in. phone output to Eliminator i ™
Enclosure material/construction: ... Black carpeted MDF
Dimensions:
Height: ....................................................... 85.9 cm (33.8 in)
Width: ..................................................... 43.8 cm (17.25 in.)
Depth: ..................................................... 61.0 cm (24.13 in.)
Net Weight: ..................................................39.5 kg (87 lb)
Shipping weight: ........................................43.1 kg (95 lb)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.