Sub Recommendations - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Subwoofers
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2016, 02:50 AM   #1
enyxr is offline enyxr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Sub Recommendations

Have collected a mass of bits and bobs over the last few months and now back to being unable to decide what subs to build (read: have built for me :P) as I have a party planned for NYE I need to make some decisions and stick with them.

What I plan to use currently;
Tops: 2x Yamaha SM121v to be loaded with Eminence replacement drivers - I plan to build some custom tops eventually but for now these will do the trick I think
Mid-lows: 2x Custom J-Bins loaded with KAPPA Pro 15a
Subs: ??
Processing: Turbosound LMS-D24

Here are the amps I have at my disposal;
PEAK 600w
Behringer iNuke 3000
Behringer A500
QSC MX1500a
QSC MX1500a

As the main genres it'll be used for are dubstep, dnb and psy trance I want something that'll happily go down into the very low 30hz range, I have requested a quote for some T60 flat packs but not heard anything back yet and happy to take suggestions?

Rig will mainly be used for small parties <200 people both outdoor and indoor.
Would also be interested in hearing of anyone in Western Australia who can build what I end up deciding to go with.
Old 7th October 2016, 12:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyxr View Post
As the main genres it'll be used for are dubstep, dnb and psy trance I want something that'll happily go down into the very low 30hz range, I have requested a quote for some T60 flat packs but not heard anything back yet and happy to take suggestions?

Rig will mainly be used for small parties <200 people both outdoor and indoor.
Would also be interested in hearing of anyone in Western Australia who can build what I end up deciding to go with.
Enyxr,

FinBot, a DIY member, lives somewhere in Australia (I know, it's a big country, he might be in Melbourne) and has built both my SynTripP top cabinet design and Keystone subs and used them at some EDM festivals, he reported they blew away most of the listeners at the multiple stage events, who tended to migrate over to his system.
That said, the Keystone design is quite simple to build, any competent cabinet maker familiar with loudspeakers could easily build it for you.

The standard Keystone sub does great to around 35 Hz (a pair could blow the doors open in a 200 seat room), the taller new "B-Low" (easily reproducing the 31Hz Low B on a five string bass) version will work well to around 28 Hz, but is not quite as loud.
I will be posting up more information in the Keystone Sub thread after building and testing the "B-Low" version, which will be using both 18" B&C and 15" Dayton drivers in six cabinets.

I've used a pair of Keystones for as many as 4000 people outdoors, looking forward to hearing six .

Art

Last edited by weltersys; 7th October 2016 at 12:17 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!