Magnet Size vs Xmas 18inch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Both of them have very low xmax for a sub, and both have pretty weak motors (with qts near .5).

Having said that, there's a lot more to consider than xmax and magnet size when picking a driver. You should simulate both choices (and a bunch of other drivers) in the intended enclosure and determine which is best for your goals.

I have a pair of 18's infinite baffle in my home. I need them for sure.
Using higher efficiency lower Q drivers.
Also nice knowing I need about 50 Watts per channel for all my subwoofer needs.
Ran them up to about 25 watts each at 16 hz and declared that to be enough.

They cost a lot for sure. I had to build the wife a large master bedroom in order to have them.

18-inch scoop for home subwoofer?! Why you need that monstrosity in your home?

I have P.Audio drivers that I like very much, but they have poor unit consistency. P.Audio seem to update their drivers without changing the model numbers. Sometimes the same model will have different numbers on different spec sheets.

It probably doesn't matter which one you order - you may debate about getting driver A or B, and after you make your choice, you actually receive driver C. That is: you might order the C18-650EL3 and actually get something with a 150oz magnet, or a 100oz magnet.

If they offer good value, just take the chance, but be prepared to redesign your scoop to accommodate whatever you actually receive.

Or possibly go with a brand that's manufactured in India - do you know if they are any good?

Products - PeerlessAudio.com

Sonce: "infinite baffle" is not always synonymous with closed box. See this example:

Infinite Baffle Subwoofer

That example is taken to the extreme and it is very rare. But it is cool :D
More down to earth example (but also rare) is woofer installed in a wall between two rooms (or room and the basement). However, "infinite baffle" usually means some sort of closed box... until it is literally infinite baffle.
Regarding P.Audio, you are right. Nevertheless, they are very good value.

Dev Electronic told P.Audio P180-22423 is better which cost more than C18-650EL3. So i bought P.Audio P180-22423 by dev Electronic Mumbai this store behavior is not nice. They take money first then sold me with a damaged cardboard box of the P.Audio P180-22423. The Subwoofer were fine

Is buying from Dev Electronic Mumbai a bad idea?

Attachments

• IMG_20161007_201742.jpg
    IMG_20161007_201742.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_20161007_201826.jpg
    IMG_20161007_201826.jpg
    684.1 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_20161007_202039.jpg
    IMG_20161007_202039.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Dear friends

As i purchase from dev electronic

Please verify if this is a Original P.Audio Subwoofer P180/2242
Please Verify if it is new or repaired Subwoofer
Are those Magnet screws supposed to be rusty when buying New P.Audio Subwoofer in picture 1 and 2
Does the top side cone belt be sticky when buying New?

I paid at Original price

Attachments

• IMG_0415 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0415 (Copy).JPG
    374.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0414 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0414 (Copy).JPG
    437.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0417 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0417 (Copy).JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0413 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_0413 (Copy).JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Dear friends

As i purchase from dev electronic

Please verify if this is a Original P.Audio Subwoofer P180/2242
Please Verify if it is new or repaired Subwoofer
Are those Magnet screws supposed to be rusty when buying New P.Audio Subwoofer in picture 1 and 2
Does the top side cone belt be sticky when buying New?

I paid at Original price

I can't answer most of these, but the woofers do look good overall. The cones,sticker and carton have no stains or mould, so I think they must have been stored OK (dry).

"the top side cone belt" is called a surround.

This exact type, where there are several folds, is called an accordion surround.

I have some like this that are slightly sticky - dust and fluff will stick to them, the same as your middle photo in post 9. This is OK. Some other companies also have surrounds like this.

You shouldn't worry; just enjoy them.

@hollowboy
Thanks so much. My doubt are whether the seller replaced the cone which make it old and repaired and not Original but modified. How long can the slightly sticky last?

I've had mine for 10 years and the surrounds feel dry now - but they still have small particles and fluff stuck to them from when they were new and slightly sticky.

To repeat my earlier point: P.Audio themselves do not appear to be consistent. If they built driver XYZ from 2010 to 2016, they might have changed the parts and/or methods used a couple of times, which means they actually sold 3 different drivers that are the same size, and share the same model number, but have different specifications.

So if the published specs are for the first version, XYZ.1, and you buy a later version (XYZ.2 or XYZ.3), your driver won't match the specs. It won't really matter whether they have had the cones replaced.

@hollowboy
The cone accordion surround glue was touching the Frame Ring belt which was giving flick sound at 50watt. I removed it with a tested and sounded ok.
So your saying i should have no problem with it? I ran 450watt 40hz and 20hz for 5 sec sine test tone without the box. It sounded with slight distortion as you got louder

@AndrewT
My mistake in my last post the test was 20hz@150watt for 3sec and 40hz@450watt for 5sec. The magnet got slight warm. I raised the audio signal sine wave power by carefully hearing the sounds of Subwoofer. And yes at 20hz test tone the sound changed with more distortion at lesser wattage than 40hz test tone.

I noticed:
At same power i noticed 20hz releases a lots of Air than 40hz you can say 2 times the air of 40hz

If it's survived that (abuse) out of the box, then there is nothing wrong with it. I'm surprised the coil didn't hit the back plate. You will get distortion at extreme loads out of an enclosure.

Much like revving the engine up on scooter/car/bus with no load. Makes me cringe. Fingernails on a chalk board - that sort of thing :nownow:

Photos on the web look like the cone/surround you have so it's probably original. Be gentle with it :deer:

Last edited:
It did not hit the back plate. But the magnet had got slight warm.

In Images
Sharp 10inch woofer India Made for $9pic

Attachments

• IMG-20161022-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20161022-WA0004.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG-20161022-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20161022-WA0005.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG-20161022-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20161022-WA0006.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG-20161022-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20161022-WA0007.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 87
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.