Possible to place speakers back to back in a ported enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Like the title says; Is it possible to place speakers back to back in a ported enclosure?

I have a homemade 3way "portable" stereo that is talking to much space, and I want to make it smaller. All the speakers are now faceing one way and the bottom part of it is a 250L vented enclosure for two 15" speakers (Eminence Delta 15C).

Is it possible to place the 15" back to back and still have it vented? And does it matter where the vent is facing for the tuning? Maybe I can have one vent on each side?

I understand that I will loose some SPL because of the smaller box, but thought it may be the best solution.

I have been trying to calculate it in WinISD without a lot of success...

Yes, there is no reason why that would not work for ported enclosures.

Keep in mind that such a large speaker will already be directional at low midrange frequencies, so in front of the speaker you will lose some SPL from those frequencies up (up to where the midranges take over). The frequencies at which the vent resonates are not directional yet, so placement does not matter.

Last edited:
Hi Buzzyll,

The devil is in the details. :)

How high do you intend to take the 15" speakers in your 3-way? Will the magnet vents get close to each other?

So while in general the answer is yes, a sketch and more details would make it possible to give a more informed answer.

Regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.