Vas and relationship between excursion and output for vented enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I was modeling a 5'' SB Satori MW13P and compared that to a 4'' Tang Band W4-1720 in a PR enclosure tuned to 45Hz. I was shocked to see that the 4'' Tang Band was not only producing more SPL than the SB Satori with the same input power at 45Hz (87.1 vs 86.7), but with less excursion as well (2.7mm vs 1.8mm), and the PR excursion is the same.

How is that possible? The Tang Band has a smaller cone area and much higher fs, and it is producing more output with less excursion?

So I compared the T/S parameters of the two drivers carefully, and determined that it was Vas that was causing this difference. The Tang Band's Vas was just 40% of the SB Satori, and when I changed the Vas on the Satori to be the same as the Tang Band, the output jumped 3dB and excursion dropped by 1mm. Changing Vas did not change the excursion required for a given output in a sealed enclosure.

This is a *big* revelation for me. Can someone please explain why a smaller Vas reduces the excursion needed for a given output in a vented enclosure?

EDIT: I think I just realized why right after I finished this post. Is it because at tuning, the box pressure is extremely high, which limits cone excursion, but the much more compliant cone of the Satori causes the pressure to limit the cone movement much less than the stiff cone of the Tang Band?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.