First time diy, which sub driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone tell me why it's possible to put the SI DS4 in a 8'-12' cubic box when the math says it should be put in a 19' cubic box? Also, why it can be used in a vented box when it's best suited for a sealed box?

Once this is settled I can start the adventure of designing the actual box. Just want to make sure of the dimensions.

I'm close to committing to this driver, I just need to make sure they can ship close to the border for a pick up. Any Canadian can tell you getting things across the border can be pricey.

Can anyone tell me why it's possible to put the SI DS4 in a 8'-12' cubic box when the math says it should be put in a 19' cubic box? Also, why it can be used in a vented box when it's best suited for a sealed box?

Once this is settled I can start the adventure of designing the actual box. Just want to make sure of the dimensions.

I'm close to committing to this driver, I just need to make sure they can ship close to the border for a pick up. Any Canadian can tell you getting things across the border can be pricey.

It's manufacturer recommandations from their website.

Mathematical models have some well defined limits, if you don't have identified them clearly at start there's a chance that you think outside of this model.

The 18" DS4 is very similar to the discontinued HT18, as I understand it, so should be just fine in 4cuft. They are also identical in dimensions, I believe, so any designs already existing for the HT18 should be able to be used as-is.

For me, having moved from a ported SVS sub to quad sealed PPSL 18s, I much prefer the sound of the sealed subwoofer - it seems a lot 'tighter' and has more 'punch', even using drivers that aren't known for high BL (IIRC) and with the PPSL arrangement that reduces even-order harmonics to produce a very 'clean' sound, which has been reported/postulated as having lower perceived 'impact' due to its 'clean-ness'.

Given the choice of a single 18" driver in 8cuft ported or two 18" drivers in 4cuft sealed each, I'd go for the latter every time now.

IIRC porting adds around 9dB at the tuning frequency, but you then lose everything below the tuning frequency and also get phase shifts and group delay due to the port (if I have understood things correctly?), which must surely lead to more difficulty integrating a sub with the mains.

So, in the example I've mentioned above, adding a second driver into the same overall space and sealing the box would bring 6dB gain across the range rather than a 9dB hump at ported tuning frequency - doubling the displacement/drivers adds 3dB and doubling the power used adds another 3dB (IIRC).

Using two drivers also means you can lay them out so they are opposed and cancel motion, and if you go PPSL you will reap the benefits of reduced harmonics as well.

Of course, this might be completely wrong - I am still noob and don't have space in my head for all the theory I should really know... :eek: :p lol

Last edited:
So I've been trying to communicate with Nick from stereo integrity for a few days. No answer on the phone and isn't reponding to emails. I worked in the service industry my entire career and how you treat your customers is very important for return or just regular business. For that reason I'm going to look elsewhere for a driver. When I settled on some I will post them here for advice.

Sorry for the rant but things like this really get to me.

So I've been trying to communicate with Nick from stereo integrity for a few days. No answer on the phone and isn't reponding to emails. I worked in the service industry my entire career and how you treat your customers is very important for return or just regular business. For that reason I'm going to look elsewhere for a driver. When I settled on some I will post them here for advice.

Sorry for the rant but things like this really get to me.

It is an semi-artisanal little factory...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.