JBL 4645C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi all. I have a pair of ( as Greg Timbers put it "other worldly") 4645C I want to use for 2ch. Hi-Fi. The cabs are 8cu. ft. net., however with no damping material at all. I know damping is an effective increase in volume, but by how much? Also, does it change the tuning? TIA

Then I'd say add some damping. Just don't overdo it. I'm using an 18" driver in a big, low tuned undamped box myself - frequency range gets nasty at 150 Hz and port resonances around 200 Hz are a sight to see. For me it's okay, since I cut at 80 Hz, 4th order and so it sounds really clean and punchy, no boominess whatsoever. (I forgot to mention previously that damping reduces the port's self resonance, aka "organ pipe" resonance, too, and this is critical for a bass reflex box used higher than pure subwoofer frequencies.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.