There's a New Sheriff In Town

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did you measure the T/S & if so how much did they differ from the published ?

He always measures. Measurements of t/s are here - Data-Bass

He also measured the driver in the 4.5 cu ft sealed box so check the measurements of that too. It measured more like a pro driver in response shape (which is very very good) but with more low end output than any of the 18 inch heavy hitters.

It's a nice driver with a lot of state of the art features but it sure does cost a lot.

@ just a guy

Thanx for the DB link :)

Even with the T/S from there, i'm still getting an error with the computed data in WinISD v07.0.900 ? This happens rarely in my long experience with it, & only when one or more of the entered specs are incorrect, due to one or more incorrect published T/S specs.

TS Parameter (Measured by Data-Bass.com) Res = 1.7 Ohms - If this is supposed to mean the DC resistance Re ? then it's over 3.5 times the stated 0.45 Ohms in the vendors link !

Now, i'm Not knocking Rikki's design etc, just trying to establish what's what, as something isn't right !

Attachments

• Drv Int.png
    Drv Int.png
    468 bytes · Views: 357
Chances are there's a problem with rounding errors. WinISD will throw a hissy fit unless you let it calculate to the nth decimal place.

I'd recommend entering Mms, Fs, Qes, Qts, Sd, Re, Le, and any large-signal parameters you think might be relevant. IIRC, it can calculate the rest from those.

...TS Parameter (Measured by Data-Bass.com) Res = 1.7 Ohms - If this is supposed to mean the DC resistance Re ? then it's over 3.5 times the stated 0.45 Ohms in the vendors link !
Perhaps you were looking at the datasheet for the 1 ohm version (T3S1-19), not the 2 ohm version that was tested (T3S2-19)
Hmmmm....actually the only "0.45" number is for the Le, which is one line below Re.

T3S1-19 - Power 19" T3 Single 1-Ohm Superwoofer | Rockford Fosgate®
T3S2-19 - Power 19" T3 Single 2-Ohm Superwoofer | Rockford Fosgate®

I compared the ammended T/S with WinISD and Horn Response, and virtually got the same auto calculated results.

Originally Posted by chris661

Chances are there's a problem with rounding errors. WinISD will throw a hissy fit unless you let it calculate to the nth decimal place.

Maybe the earlier versions did, but the later ones are fine. I know how to use it, i even made a thread about it http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/148729-how-correctly-use-winisd.html

Originally Posted by bolserst

Perhaps you were looking at the datasheet for the 1 ohm version (T3S1-19), not the 2 ohm version that was tested (T3S2-19
)

Yes thanx, you're right i was initially. Even after entering the tested specs for the 2 ohm i still get the error alert. However, i can still successfully sim any number of designs regardless.

Hmmmm....actually the only "0.45" number is for the Le, which is one line below Re.

My mistake, so thanx for pointing it out. I did enter the correct figure when simming though, and i've redone it to make sure.

Sir Ricci has put up some wording around the graphs now :)

(not sure if I am allowed to post a link to it so please delete if not, Mods)
Data-Bass

I like this bit :D

At this point the voltage applied was roughly 104 volts and the system was producing 115-120dB in the 12-16Hz which is higher than any other system tested to date. Otherwise the system produced no signs of danger or stress in the sound or the drivers. It must be noted that at this level the siding on the building back about 90ft or more away from the cabinet was starting to buzz and rattle

I guessed right. It's just a ported slot loaded box, nothing at all like a horn. Basically a simple 6th order bandpass. The port looks a bit small for 4 of those drivers but he did mention he was getting a bit of port noise. The box is so tiny a larger port wouldn't have fit, compromises need to be made.

I guessed right. It's just a ported slot loaded box, nothing at all like a horn. Basically a simple 6th order bandpass. The port looks a bit small for 4 of those drivers but he did mention he was getting a bit of port noise. The box is so tiny a larger port wouldn't have fit, compromises need to be made.

I'm wondering why he didn't make it a series-tuned design. That should allow for a larger port in the same total volume.

The port looks a bit small for 4 of those drivers but he did mention he was getting a bit of port noise. The box is so tiny a larger port wouldn't have fit, compromises need to be made.

Indeed. A 12" diameter vent is about the limit of what would fit. It is cram packed on the inside. I wish I could have used a full 60x60" form. The extra volume and space to adjust some things would have been welcome. Unfortunately I just could not fit something that big.

I'm wondering why he didn't make it a series-tuned design. That should allow for a larger port in the same total volume.

It wouldn't have worked well for this design. No room inside the cab for starters.

I compared the ammended T/S with WinISD and Horn Response, and virtually got the same auto calculated results.

Maybe the earlier versions did, but the later ones are fine. I know how to use it, i even made a thread about it http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/148729-how-correctly-use-winisd.html

)

Yes thanx, you're right i was initially. Even after entering the tested specs for the 2 ohm i still get the error alert. However, i can still successfully sim any number of designs regardless.

My mistake, so thanx for pointing it out. I did enter the correct figure when simming though, and i've redone it to make sure.

I never had any issue with the provided factory parameters for the drivers or the ones I have pulled. Everything adds up just fine. :confused:
Care to post your specs that you are entering?

@ Josh Ricci

Hi, i used the same T/S as you did, & after my initial concerns etc, i redid the sim as before & got the same results. I wasn't complaining at all, just wondered why the error appeared. It didn't make any difference to the results.

Once again, Thanx for a Very informative & nicely laid out & tidy www :) What does ZOD mean ?

Regards

@ Josh Ricci

Hi, i used the same T/S as you did, & after my initial concerns etc, i redid the sim as before & got the same results. I wasn't complaining at all, just wondered why the error appeared. It didn't make any difference to the results.

Once again, Thanx for a Very informative & nicely laid out & tidy www :) What does ZOD mean ?

Regards

Only the greatest Superman movie ever!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKDFop0aqYQ

@ Josh Ricci

Once again, Thanx for a Very informative & nicely laid out & tidy www :)

Regards

Hmmm. No idea. No errors on my copy of winisd. Only thing I even use that for is holding driver parameters anymore. I'm not even sure if it's up to date. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.