Newbie bought a cheapo 15" sub, help me with the box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I rearanged the whole room, tried to put the sub diagonally, tried to put it so it fires towards walls, ceiling- everything. It seems room resonates HARD at 48Hz and there is nothing i can do about it except eq it out. However frequencies beneath 35ish Hz i was aiming for are good enough but not something i find enough. There is only so much you can expect from 250w.
There is an option to move the whole setup into a garage thats about 5 times the size of my room to test but i dunno if i could carry that huge box through the staircase or if i care enough.

For my next audio related project i would like to create something in 1000w+ rms range tuned below 20ish Hz but i know such project would cost 4 figures.
I have a steady paycheck now so ill be able to afford things quicker but i think ill stick to other hobbies for a while since right now im kinda satisfied with what i got. Wish there were a few dB more beneath 30Hz to be honest but what can you do...

i should install passive radiators in place of my windows to tune the room :D :D

Thanks tonitonitoni. Im currently in a situation where i have no interests or all of them are waay wayy out out of my price range so part of me says " get a 2kw sub then rest of the components later for sub 20hz build at xxxdB" other part says maybe start building an ebike youre planning for years already. Id also need a new phone so god damnit i dont know in which hobby direction to go to. :rolleyes:

I vote for the bandpass box for your neighbors to enjoy! There are 2 car audio 12's in a BP4 in the table on the left. It's powered by the 2 x 100w receiver in the stack above the 18" PA enclosure. I let my neighbors hear it every now and then!

Attachments

• 20160924_024354.jpg
    20160924_024354.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 91
I got to say, i think i found another frequency at which my room resonates.
15Hz, im afraid to go over 15% volume because doors, closets, window panes flex and rattle like crazy. I dont think it is safe for the sub to go any louder than that at 15Hz anyway because that excursion has to be more than "11mm xmax". While i ran 15Hz sine through it i decided to go out on the balcony to hear how much of the bass goes through the walls and i heard neibhours wondering why were their windows shaking and where is that noise comming from? I love it.
Anyone think pushing it further would destroy it if coil hits the magnet or
are these car subs made to take a bit more abuse?

Last edited:
You will hear very interesting rattling sound if sub cant take it any more, but when You hear that its already too late for that poor sub :

My little 8" JBL sub sounded like rocks were being thrown at the car when the voice coil hit the back of the magnet. You KNOW when it happens :D

That 15" Magnat driver seems to have a very small magnet. There are a lot of 10" and 12" drivers for very little money that dig deeper. I have a JBL GT4 -12 in a 60L enclosure tuned around 22 Hz and it does kick.

The cab is an ex 2*12 guitar box and the driver I got for peanuts.

I wonder what an isobaric pair, or a professional (Oberon or Faital Pro) 15" driver would do? I hope your neighbours have no china ornaments and are deaf :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.